NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Tetanus 10 year, shorter if on immunosuppressants? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/217432-tetanus-10-shorter-immunosuppressants.html)

anon6618 03-15-2015 01:44 PM

Are we considered immuno-compromised if on medicine like prednisone

Hi there,
I've been vaccinated against tetanus almost 9 years ago, and normally you're safe if it's been less then 10y. However, immune comprimised patients should get a vaccine sooner, they're talking about HIV patients and sometimes even people who take immunno suppressants, like prednison, imuran or cellcept.

I'm very scared now, because I have a wound (I fell hard outside a week ago, thanks to weak legs) and did not get a new shot because it's been less then 10y and thought I was safe.
I don't know if I have to consider myself "compromised", because I'm not like a person with HIV...I take immunosuppressants for years yeah, but it's not like I'm always having a cold or pneumonia or whatever.
Very scared to take a boosting shot anyway "to be sure" because it can cause MG to flare?? They even say you need the full vaccine and some boosting shot if "immuno-compromised"...

Anyone any thoughts?

neutro 03-15-2015 03:18 PM

Hi Ravenclaw,
Two years ago, I fell badly in a trench and one of my legs was scrapped to the bone on about 5 to 6 inches.
I was transported to an ER 20 miles away and the doctor carried out a test to check my immunology (antibodies) towards tetanus and the results came back negative. I told her that I was having regular PLEX's for my MG and that the circulating antibodies were supposed to be removed.
I told her also that I previously elapsed due to a vaccine shot for bronchitis and that I was not very keen for another shot...
She replied that the effects of tetanus were horrible and caused death 50 % of the time and that she would give me the shot anyway...
I survived that shot without any problem, same for the second part of it one month later, if I remember correctly.
I still wonder about the effect of PLEX versus the vaccine protection...
Maurice.
She also did a beautiful job mending my leg with 12 stiches on a location where there is no flesh, only skin on the bone!

anon6618 03-15-2015 04:41 PM

Thanks for your response. I've never had PLEX, only the immunosuppressants prednisone/imuran/cellcept/methotrexate/ciclosporin.

Think I'm going to call my doc tomorrow just to be sure...scared to get more problems...

AnnieB3 03-15-2015 06:53 PM

Just make sure that you have the tetanus ONLY shot.

I had that one and I was absolutely fine. I'm sure that you'll be fine, too.

Annie

anon6618 03-16-2015 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnnieB3 (Post 1129619)
Just make sure that you have the tetanus ONLY shot.

I had that one and I was absolutely fine. I'm sure that you'll be fine, too.

Annie

Saw I need both the tetanus immuno globulin injection and the tetanus toxoid (the normal vaccin) if I am considered immunodeficiënt. Both are fine?

southblues 03-17-2015 07:13 PM

Even if you are not on immuno-suppressants, the State of Georgia Department of Health recommends that you get vaccinated after 5 years if you have an injury.

Plantagenet 03-19-2015 09:50 AM

This of course applies to just about all vaccinations.

AnnieB3 03-19-2015 11:55 PM

I'm sure you'll be fine. Did you have the shot?

Annie

anon6618 03-24-2015 09:59 AM

Nope, turned out I didn't need one because I still had enough antibodies to be safe for at least 2 years. So I'm free to go outside while unstable and big chance to fall :cool::p

southblues 03-28-2015 07:36 PM

I looked at my last blood work, and my gamma globulins are high in spite of me being on immune suppressants. All these years, germs have been biting me and dying. I guess my immune system got bored and decided to attack my neuromuscular junction.

The reason I shared this is to say that I don't think that those of us with MG can really be compared with everybody else immune wise.

It was a good idea to get your tetanus titre checked. They really ought to do that more often rather than just jabbing us with more needles.