NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Mthfr (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/217641-mthfr.html)

anagirl 03-19-2015 02:27 PM

Mthfr

So, I've just discovered that I have mutations on the MTHFR gene - at C677T and A1298C. Very interesting! My GP thinks this could one of possibly many reasons why I have PD, especially at such a young age (diagnosed at 38).

He has suggested I start taking Tyrosine and Methyl Folate every day, along with a little 5HTP and Glutathione. This should help aid my body in the processes that my body should be performing but isn't, due to these mutations.

I also tested for a few B- vitamins, after all the discussions here about B's.
They all came out in the normal range - interestingly B-1 came out high.

I just emailed my Neurologist - waiting to hear back.

Does any one else have these mutations?

curem 03-19-2015 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anagirl (Post 1130393)
So, I've just discovered that I have mutations on the MTHFR gene - at C677T and A1298C. Very interesting! My GP thinks this could one of possibly many reasons why I have PD, especially at such a young age (diagnosed at 38).

He has suggested I start taking Tyrosine and Methyl Folate every day, along with a little 5HTP and Glutathione. This should help aid my body in the processes that my body should be performing but isn't, due to these mutations.

This article on B12 standards in US vs Japan will be of interest to you:

B12 levels: U.S. standards may be too low It is important to check MMA blood levels and supplement with B12 where needed
http://www.medicalcompassmd.com/b12-...ndards-may-be/

zanpar321 03-19-2015 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anagirl (Post 1130393)

I have similar MTHFR mutations and take Tyrosine, Methyl B12, 5HTP and Methyl Folate too. I think it helps.

kiwi33 03-20-2015 01:10 AM

Anagirl, has your doctor checked your blood homocysteine level?

It can be abnormally high in people with the C677T and/or A1298C mutations of the MTHFR gene.

Abnormally high blood homocysteine is associated with a condition called homocystinuria which can have a number of adverse health effects.

If your blood homocysteine level is abnormally high your doctor will be able to discuss the implications of that with you.

anagirl 03-20-2015 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi33 (Post 1130514)
Anagirl, has your doctor checked your blood homocysteine level?

It can be abnormally high in people with the C677T and/or A1298C mutations of the MTHFR gene.

Abnormally high blood homocysteine is associated with a condition called homocystinuria which can have a number of adverse health effects.

If your blood homocysteine level is abnormally high your doctor will be able to discuss the implications of that with you.

Hi Kiwi -
Thank you for this! I had read about it online and my Dr did discuss it with me.
We are going to try this supplement protocol for a bit and then do more testing.

I have also read that Sinemet can increase homocysteine... not a good mix for someone with these mutations! One step forward two steps back.

olsen 03-20-2015 10:18 PM

Mthfr

My husband (PWP) is homozygous for MTHFR C677T( possesses both risk alleles for this SNP).

Muireann 03-22-2015 04:39 PM

I'm heterozygous a1298c and have many more mutations that interfere with methylation. I know other pwps with mthfr.