NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Brain and Cervical MRI Tomorrow (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/218047-brain-cervical-mri-tomorrow.html)

anon050715 03-27-2015 03:37 PM

Brain and Cervical MRI Tomorrow

Well this saga continues. After a negative EMG my neuro has me set up for a brain and cervical MRI tomorrow.

Slightly nervous they're going to find something sinister on the MRI! Dang hypochondria is flaring up on me again lol

I really don't like medical testing.

en bloc 03-27-2015 03:49 PM

Have your symptoms reappeared?

These are appropriate tests if you are still having symptoms.

anon050715 03-27-2015 03:52 PM

Brain and Cervical MRI Tomorrow

Quote:

Originally Posted by en bloc (Post 1132286)
Have your symptoms reappeared?

These are appropriate tests if you are still having symptoms.

I'm still having symptoms. Nothing debilitating but like you said part of the standard work up.

Can brain tumors cause neuropathy?

beatle 03-27-2015 05:17 PM

In all of my testing, two meningiomas were discovered as incidental findings. I have been assured and reassured that although they have grown over time, it is not possible that they could have caused my PN.

anon050715 03-27-2015 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatle (Post 1132307)
In all of my testing, two meningiomas were discovered as incidental findings. I have been assured and reassured that although they have grown over time, it is not possible that they could have caused my PN.

My wife actually has those in her liver. They haven't grown in years but they show up everytime she gets a CT.

anon050715 03-28-2015 07:00 PM

MRI complete....

....now the waiting game lol

anon050715 03-29-2015 12:20 PM

So question

If my brain and cervical MRI comes back normal and my EMG test was normal but I'm experiencing neuropathy in the absence of diabetes, what would I have? SFN? CIDP?

What further testing would I need?

beatle 03-29-2015 12:49 PM

If you end up like me, you will be submitted for a spinal tap, EEG and additional blood work before labeled "idiopathic" and tried on various anticonvulsants, antidepressants and opioids. Most questions regarding the origin and prognosis of the disease would then be answered with "We do not know" and you would hear a lot of "We can only treat the symptoms".

If there is nerve damage, for some, it could be a mild case or even reverse over time. We are all different along with our individual abilities to heal.

en bloc 03-29-2015 01:57 PM

You'd likely get more labs done and hopefully a skin biopsy to check for SFN.

A spinal tap may be ordered, but that is pretty invasive. I bet (after the skin biopsy) they just start shoving meds (the ones Beatle mentioned) at you to see what may help.

Let's hope they do the skin biopsy...most logical for this situation.

beatle 03-29-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by en bloc (Post 1132656)
You'd likely get more labs done and hopefully a skin biopsy to check for SFN.

A spinal tap may be ordered, but that is pretty invasive. I bet (after the skin biopsy) they just start shoving meds (the ones Beatle mentioned) at you to see what may help.

Let's hope they do the skin biopsy...most logical for this situation.

Oh yeah...and a biopsy. My lumbar puncture was hell. I could not walk on my right leg for several days after, the neuro would not call me back and to this day I have a weakness in that leg.

Sorry UT, not to frighten you. I think I am a worst case scenario.