NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Topical pain relief (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/218137-topical-pain-relief.html)

swimtime 03-29-2015 06:35 PM

Topical pain relief

What are some effective topical creams that help with the stabbing, shooting crps pain (if any)?

Littlepaw 03-29-2015 06:58 PM

Hi Swimtime,

How's the kid? Making progress I hope. :) I just picked up a new topical cream with ketoprofen, ketamine, gabapentin. My pharmacist seemed pretty excited about this combo. I like that the compound is creamy, not sticky or gooey. Apparently it depends on the meds and concentration. I have tried some topicals before and gotten relief with them, especially around my scar. I also apply them over the major nerve tracks for the ankle. You can look these up online.

For myself, I prefer the topicals without blood pressure meds mixed in. I got one a few months ago that was supposed to help with circulation by vasodiliation. Had everything imaginable in it. Didn't care for that. I am hoping that if we simply calm the nerves the circulation will follow. If you go with compounds make sure you use an experienced pharmacy that triple mills the medications and knows how to tweak the bases.
Good luck!
Littlepaw :hug:

Littlepaw 03-29-2015 07:08 PM

One more tip,

Because compounds can be expensive and not always covered, I sometimes have the pharmacy make up a small batch (30g) so I can try a new one before committing to the whole big batch. We just had an insurance change and now compound coverage is poop. :(

LP

LIT LOVE 03-29-2015 10:21 PM

You might want to try Epsom Salt lotion as well. I couldn't believe how much it helped with the swelling of my neck recently. Once the swelling calmed down the crazy muscle spasms and shooting pain went away as well.

(I had started the first few days by using Lidocaine patches which helped, but then when I introduced the Epsom Salt lotion and some self massage, the results were dramatically better, and the flare/spread went away.)

Littlepaw 03-30-2015 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1132740)
You might want to try Epsom Salt lotion as well. I couldn't believe how much it helped with the swelling of my neck recently. Once the swelling calmed down the crazy muscle spasms and shooting pain went away as well.

(I had started the first few days by using Lidocaine patches which helped, but then when I introduced the Epsom Salt lotion and some self massage, the results were dramatically better, and the flare/spread went away.)

Amazing how helpful just getting the swelling down can be. Nerves really can't tolerate any pressure.