NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Upper-Level Math & Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/218200-upper-level-math-post-concussion-syndrome.html)

Rchrd 03-31-2015 10:27 AM

Upper-Level Math & Post Concussion Syndrome

Is there anyone like myself, who in the Post Concussion stage is just repulsed my Mathematics?

It is so serious that I'll be sending the Dean of Statistics and Engineering a letter of exit from the subject and subsequently, from a degree.

Mark in Idaho 03-31-2015 12:48 PM

I don't understand what you mean by repulsed. I would understand if the question was, When you consider upper-level math, does the concept totally fluster you or look like a foreign language ?

For me, what used to be something I could methodically sort through became like I was trying to read Greek. I lost my ability to segment out the different functions in a formula/equation without it becoming very stressful.

Jomar 03-31-2015 03:00 PM

Oh I wondered what Mat was... I'll correct the title..

AndromedaJulie 03-31-2015 04:12 PM

I do find it difficult to manage things requiring intense analytic thought, though I don't use high level math specifically in my daily life.

I even find verbally communicating anything instructional or logistical difficult at this point.

RJam 03-31-2015 07:54 PM

I am also having difficulty with math. I am also considering dropping out of my program as it requires me to take classes like calculus and I have enough trouble counting money without mucking it up

_Grace_ 03-31-2015 08:14 PM

Math

Same here- very discouraging when no longer able to process simple calculations 'in my head'

Mark in Idaho 03-31-2015 08:17 PM

I have lost the ability to do math in my head a number of times over the decades. I was able to retrain myself but recently, have not been able to do the many step math processes.

I encourage you to start simple and see if you can retrain yourself to do the simple brain math.

cerebellarmaniac 04-09-2015 02:24 AM

My gut tells me that math is incredibly demanding on the visual system. Equations are expected to be understood as quickly as they are written down. In my experience a compromised visual - vestibular system even affects my ability to do mental math and abstract thinking. My theory is that I am too dizzy to be able to shift to more higher level stuff.

I was asked to do relatively math intensive project at work. For the average 12 grade student this would have been a piece of cake. Therefore, a former buisness major like myself would in most circumstances think it was a joke. However, it was incredibly difficult for me and it took me a while to understand what I was looking for and what I needed to do to get there. I was also required to be on a wharf, which made me much more dizzy than usual. The dizziness made my poor math and analytical skills much, much, much worse.

If you have visual scanning issues too good luck with all those numbers and symbols.

Interestingly my ability to do Suduko and kenken puzzles has only been moderately affected. I think the fact that they follow strict order and are relatively surprise free helps. However, I still have to quit after a few rounds b/c they make me dizzy.

krisgrt 04-09-2015 11:14 AM

Taking a step back would be a great idea. Higher level math is very visual..not only on paper but, also visualizing concepts in your head. If math is part of your program and a skill you had before part of the aversion might simply be that what was easy is now difficult. Is it a skill you can recover? Others here would have a better idea. I am new here and my husband is the one with the concussion. If it is, taking a step back until your brain has healed more might help you enjoy it again.