NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Fasciculations anyone? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/218732-fasciculations.html)

kneed2no 04-13-2015 01:17 AM

Fasciculations anyone?

I have recently been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy - sensory and motor. I am wondering if anyone else gets fasciculations? I get them on the bottom of my feet, legs and arms.

Neuroproblem 04-13-2015 03:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kneed2no (Post 1135336)
I have recently been diagnosed with peripheral neuropathy - sensory and motor. I am wondering if anyone else gets fasciculations? I get them on the bottom of my feet, legs and arms.

fasciculations is one of the symptoms of neuropathy. Mines started to become crazy when i first got my "undiagnosed" neuropathy. also called muscle twitches.

echoes long ago 04-13-2015 06:05 AM

i get them mostly in my calves. sometimes on my abdomen

mrsD 04-13-2015 06:37 AM

Anyone with fasiculations should try magnesium therapy in earnest.

There is a magnesium lotion you can rub on, called Morton Epsom Lotion. It can be used on targeted problem areas. Rub into intact skin a small amount daily. Tops of feet, ankles etc. Start there.
A nickel's worth diameter on each foot. The skin on the bottoms of the feet is too thick, so don't apply there.

Once you get some mag into your circulation you can add an oral form that is well absorbed like SlowMag. Or a chelate of your choice, just NOT oxide which doesn't work.

Morton's is available at most local WalMarts and Walgreens or online at Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Morton-Epsom-L...om+salt+lotion

I use Morton's every day... and it is just miraculous.

Healthgirl 04-13-2015 07:16 AM

I get them everywhere. Very annoying. :(

baba222 04-13-2015 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthgirl (Post 1135364)
I get them everywhere. Very annoying. :(

Me too. Sometimes I dont have them once. Then other times, I have them throughout the day.

When lying, they seem to come on more often.

ellsac 04-13-2015 11:08 AM

Muscle twitches can be caused by so many things. Certainly neuropathy can do it, but so can electrolyte issues, stress, fatigue.

I get them on and off, and have for years.

I second what Mrs D suggested-magnesium seems to help mine.

kneed2no 04-13-2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellsac (Post 1135390)
Muscle twitches can be caused by so many things. Certainly neuropathy can do it, but so can electrolyte issues, stress, fatigue.

I get them on and off, and have for years.

I second what Mrs D suggested-magnesium seems to help mine.

My electrolytes are all in good shape. I first started getting fasciculations back in 2000 - a gradual onset over a few months until I reached a point that I was having several hundred per day - in large muscles - totally visible to anyone. This lasted about 3 weeks. Also other neuro symptoms during this time like heaviness of legs, fatigue and some others. During that 3 week time period, I also burned my arm on the woodstove but was unaware that I was burning it until I smelled the burning flesh. These fasciculations resolved. Neurology exam was completely normal (albeit it was not until after that 3 week period of intense fasciculations). Then didn't have any for about 14 years - started in late last year though never at the level of 2000. I sure wish I knew the cause. I've done lots of research.

ellsac 04-13-2015 12:22 PM

Well, if you have a definite diagnosis of neuropathy, that can definitely cause the twitching.

Even if your labs say your are not deficient in magnesium-you still might want to try and give it a shot. I would recommend Natural Calm. It is a fizzy magnesium drink. You can start with a quarter dose and see how you do. Even if the cause is neuropathy-magnesium has been shown to help the damaged nerves communicate better with each other.

KnowNothingJon 04-13-2015 12:40 PM

I use the lotion as well. That being said, I have a decent parody song of "Infatuation" by Rod Stewart, but mine is "Fasticulation"...