NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Repeated Cold Exposure and Nerve Damage? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/219100-repeated-cold-exposure-nerve-damage.html)

anon050715 04-20-2015 06:41 PM

Repeated Cold Exposure and Nerve Damage?

So I understand acute frostbite can cause nerve damage but can a distal appendage repeatedly exposed to the cold get nerve damage?

My symptoms started in February during a rather cold winter. I spent many times outdoors in Crocs sandals during sub 40 degree temps. My core was dressed warm but unfortunately I didn't take care of my feet. To be 100% transparent I'm a competitive archer and practice outside almost daily. I was shooting a lot during this time.

I wonder if the cause of my PN symptoms are from repeated exposure to the cold. I obviously didn't experience frostbite but maybe I suffered some nerve damage?

Sorry mom I'll wear socks next time [emoji3]

Littlepaw 04-20-2015 07:39 PM

Repeated cold exposure even without frostbite can cause damage. This is a problem for surfers sometimes too.

anon050715 04-20-2015 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepaw (Post 1137146)
Repeated cold exposure even without frostbite can cause damage. This is a problem for surfers sometimes too.

Thanks

I guess once the damage occurs the healing process is prolonged from what I gather on here and from my neurologist.

en bloc 04-20-2015 08:22 PM

Being that you have problems only on one side, I'd doubt it's from the cold...unless of course, you wore socks on one foot...;)

Seriously though, I think you would have had pain at the time and noticed problems from the start if the damage was from the cold.

Littlepaw 04-20-2015 08:28 PM

Not saying that was the reason for symptoms just that technically cold can cause damage. So keep those tootsies warm next winter!

We do have a "one sock club" over on the CRPS forum. :D

anon050715 04-20-2015 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by en bloc (Post 1137151)
Being that you have problems only on one side, I'd doubt it's from the cold...unless of course, you wore socks on one foot...;)

Seriously though, I think you would have had pain at the time and noticed problems from the start if the damage was from the cold.

Well that post pretty much killed my exposure to cold theory lol

Guess it's on to the next idea. Heck this is mystery game.

Thanks Enbloc

Tunaboy 04-20-2015 09:17 PM

If you only have issues on one side, have you looked into shingles?

anon050715 04-20-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tunaboy (Post 1137159)
If you only have issues on one side, have you looked into shingles?

No didn't consider that one.