NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Swimming clothes for neuropathy? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/219674-swimming-clothes-neuropathy.html)

njtech 05-01-2015 05:11 PM

Swimming clothes for neuropathy?

Greeting all:
I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow add more physical activity in my life that does not aggravate the condition. I've read that swimming may be good but just 1 lap in the pool causes me a severe pain for 2 days. I'm thinking, possibly swim pants & gloves may soften swim a bit and not irritate nerves as much? Any particular brands/types that are recommended for folks like us?
Thanks for your input.

Kitt 05-01-2015 05:42 PM

Welcome njtech. :Wave-Hello:

baba222 05-01-2015 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njtech (Post 1139658)
Greeting all:
I'm trying to figure out if I can somehow add more physical activity in my life that does not aggravate the condition. I've read that swimming may be good but just 1 lap in the pool causes me a severe pain for 2 days. I'm thinking, possibly swim pants & gloves may soften swim a bit and not irritate nerves as much? Any particular brands/types that are recommended for folks like us?
Thanks for your input.

I cannot swim anymore either. It was one of my greatest joys to be in a pool.
I now go to a handicap pool that is 85'. I don't swim, just slowly walk and have to stop every few minutes.
I can't tolerate a normal temperature pool. I have a regular one piece swimsuit.
When I am in the water, it is the only time I feel a little normal. The burning is less. It is the only thing besides medication that helps a little. I only have 25-50% pain relief.
As far as clothes, I am now wearing 100% cotton, silk, and au natural, as it is painful to wear clothes.
Hope the water helps.

njtech 05-06-2015 09:57 PM

Thank you folks. Oh, it wasn't meant to be easy!
Wish, it will get better over time.

Enna70 05-07-2015 10:11 AM

Good question; being female, I can't have a top that goes around my neck...this causes sever pain; Also I can't wear a baggy top because once it becomes wet, it becomes to heavy around the neck...it's a hit or miss...keep up the fight....:grouphug:

surfer00 05-07-2015 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by baba222 (Post 1139674)
I cannot swim anymore either. It was one of my greatest joys to be in a pool.
I now go to a handicap pool that is 85'. I don't swim, just slowly walk and have to stop every few minutes.
I can't tolerate a normal temperature pool. I have a regular one piece swimsuit.
When I am in the water, it is the only time I feel a little normal. The burning is less. It is the only thing besides medication that helps a little. I only have 25-50% pain relief.
As far as clothes, I am now wearing 100% cotton, silk, and au natural, as it is painful to wear clothes.
Hope the water helps.

Hi Baba222,

When u say you can't tolerate a normal temp pool, are you saying its too warm or too cold? Thanks!

baba222 05-07-2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surfer00 (Post 1140795)
Hi Baba222,

When u say you can't tolerate a normal temp pool, are you saying its too warm or too cold? Thanks!

I can't tolerate the cold or too hot.

A warm pool is tolerable.

Hope that helps.