NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Hot Baths (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/219736-hot-baths.html)

anon050715 05-03-2015 07:29 PM

Hot Baths

Anyone get relief for the feet from hot baths? Hot baths are my saving grace. I'm comfortable with my manhood soaking in a lavender bubble bath and it really does help me. I keep it private with my friends and co workers but I look forward to my hot bath on bad days.

Ragtop262 05-03-2015 08:47 PM

I do like hot baths, and I do find that they help my feet - especially if I do a little massaging on them at the same time. But I can't take the water too hot, or it will really make the feet burn. (There's kind of a fine line between just right and too hot.)

A couple weeks ago, I went for a massage at a place I hadn't been before. Right at the end, she pulled out a super-hot wet towel and wrapped it around my feet as she massaged them. I just about jumped right off the table from the pain - and my feed burned like crazy for the rest of the night. She said most people think that feels really good. I guess I'm not like most people :winky:

janieg 05-03-2015 09:45 PM

I'm like you UTGrad....I love a hot bath. I put both epsom salt and bubble bath in and make the water as hot as I can. (And of course have some good music playing.) I come out feeling great.

madisongrrl 05-03-2015 10:14 PM

Hot baths for me are not good. They make my skin burn. I used to love them before small fiber neuropathy symptoms hit.

mrsD 05-04-2015 04:33 AM

I have to caution about heat treatments for PN....

Heat in general stimulates nerves. If you have nerve problems, then long heat treatments are in the LONG RUN going to make for more pain during the rest of the day.

My chiro explained this to me long ago. 10 minutes tops for any heat exposure (hot baths, heating pads, steam rooms).

Heat is primarily for deep muscle and joint pain. It will improve blood flow to deep areas. But for nerve pain, it is a stimulant...and will cause the pain nerves to fire more and basically irritate them.

For example, when I had IFc treatments with ultrasound following, the therapist put an ICE pack on the area that had the electrode pads. This deadened the pain from the treatment so I could tolerate higher voltages. When the ultrasound was done, she mixed Biofreeze with the lubricant so a higher level could be used to penetrate to my hip area where the tendons were injured.

The general rule is for PNers... to use cool or cold treatments sparingly to reduce nerve firing (pain). Too much cold is also bad, so use ice packs sparingly so as not to compromise circulation to a painful area.

CRPS (RSD) patients on the other hand prefer heat treatments.
So keep in mind that cold intolerance may be a clue to a diagnosis of CRPS.

Heat will help overworked muscles get rid of lactic acid build up. But more time than necessary will then irritate nerves in the area, which will cause pain, for all the other times the heat is missing.

To improve blood flow without heat, using the magnesium lotion is best.

I have MP in remission (lateral femoral nerve damage from a C-section surgery). If I go into a steam room or hot bath, it will wake up and zap me etc. So I avoid heat at all costs today.
I had it severely for over 10 yrs, until Lidoderms came out... and I used them for 2 weeks, and the nerve quieted down.
The steam room at the gym used to trigger me too. So now it is only lukewarm water for me!

EnglishDave 05-04-2015 07:18 AM

Baths of any temp are out for me due to physical disabilities, so I have a walk-in shower. Even that at too high a setting makes my nerves scream. Oh, to relax in a bath with a book and some music again.

Dave.

anon050715 05-04-2015 08:44 AM

MrsD what is CRPS?

beatle 05-04-2015 09:28 AM

I do very warm, not hot baths with a cup of Epsom salts. This is my go-to and it calms my nerves every time.

mrsD 05-04-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTGrad (Post 1140044)
MrsD what is CRPS?

Our CRPS (RSD) forum:
http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/forum21.html

EnglishDave 05-04-2015 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1140053)

It is most enlightening to explore ALL the Forums here. One soon learns there are many cross-overs with treatments, Drs, emotional and mental stresses and all aspects of daily living. We truly are a Community.

Dave.