NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Book "Mucuna versus Parkinson" Aug. 2014 (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/219905-book-mucuna-versus-parkinson-aug-2014-a.html)

job1119 05-07-2015 12:33 AM

Book "Mucuna versus Parkinson" Aug. 2014

This book, published Aug. 2014, is written by Dr Rafael Maldonado, neurologist. . The subtitle of this book is "Treatment with Natural Levodpopa." Ch. 9 is
interesting, in part because of the use of quotes of members of this site,
without attribution. This site is mentioned, along with other sites, as forming
the basis of this chapter.

DocJohn 05-10-2015 09:21 AM

We contacted the author to discuss our issues with his publishing copyrighted material without first getting permission. He agreed to remove any NeuroTalk excerpts from the book, and has updated both the online and print versions to remove these excerpts from the chapter.

Best,
DocJohn

Fiona 05-18-2015 02:07 AM

I have to comment that as of this date on my Kindle Cloud Reader the uncredited excerpts and quotes have not been removed from this book. My words are used verbatim at length. I emailed the author about a month ago, in t to thank him for the book, but also to introduce myself as the ghost author of much of it! He has not responded.

DocJohn 05-18-2015 06:11 AM

Not sure it updates your existing copy automatically? It may require a manual re-download to get the newer copy...

villiers 05-18-2015 07:04 AM

Fiona !!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiona (Post 1142933)
I have to comment that as of this date on my Kindle Cloud Reader the uncredited excerpts and quotes have not been removed from this book. My words are used verbatim at length. I emailed the author about a month ago, in t to thank him for the book, but also to introduce myself as the ghost author of much of it! He has not responded.

Fiona !!

so great to hear from you !!
how have you been ? Are you still able to function without meds anymore ?
please give us an update
kind regards

moondaughter 05-24-2015 08:33 AM

Revisiting Mucuna-minimum dose always

I'm really glad I purchased this book! Having attempted taking mucuna 7 years ago w/o success am getting interesting results now with combining it with yerba mate tea from projectmatebar.com . The text mentions how green tea potentiates mucuna however the caffeine (or something) iin green tea doesn't sit well with me but good mate tea...well ,now thatts a tea I can drink (promotes friendliness too ...)with same but possibly even more potent antioxidant benefits as green tea. Good quality mate (pronounced mah-tay) tea is essential imho.

I'm just a couple of days into this and am a bit fearful of the hard landing (more intense tremor) going "off" mucuna (even tho it does stretch the efficacy of sinemet by a couple of hours=double) and reduces on/off DK.

So, I will experiment wit reducing the dose to see if a lesser dose proves effective (which it did last night-taking the minimum dose has always been my strategy for sinemet as well.(1/2 tablet of mucuna worked just as well with softer landing) Personally I am finding my dosage needs fluctuate up and down with the seasons (need more in winter less in spring). This post may give some docs nightmares as consistency in dosage is the standard golden rule with ample research to support it (soccertese are you rolling your eyes now?hehe) as well as practical rationale-but I don't have health insurance so seeing neuros and MDS not an option for me- having said that I am actually doing very well (listening to my own bodys' signals as a guide) 21 years into sx having begun at age 36 (am now 57). Much of my well being I attribute to years of daily fava pod juice...and taking no agonists and keeping sinemet dosage low and only started medicating when sx became severe 7 years ago. Also, exercise, massage, chi gong, yoga, etc etc etc -still driving and am a caregiver for my housemate who is paralyzed from stroke.

This morning I awakened with greater calm and stillness-last med dose was 4 PM yesterday...makes one wonder...
Also plan to take some aloe vera. cheers everyone! and thanks Dr. M for the most informative and practical guide for understanding mucuna! Also I very much appreciatee that he gives sources for purchase of mucuna along with considerations with regards to extracts vs tablets and powder form etc etc.

Kind regards to ya'all -- MD