NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Cold laser therapy not so hot (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/220143-cold-laser-therapy-hot.html)

Littlepaw 05-11-2015 06:34 PM

Cold laser therapy not so hot

Sad to report a misadventure in the pursuit of pain relief. I have made a lot of progress and was hoping to beat back the pain a little more. I asked one of my docs about LDN which they were reluctant to give since they mostly give it for MS. They were hot instead on their Class IV laser and I stupidly agreed to do it in the interest of being cooperative more than anything.

First treatment didn't notice much. Second treatment jazzed things up a couple days then settled and felt better. I then had three good days and despite misgivings about the second session went for a third. Bad idea, I am still paying for it, my nerve is really aggravated and I am feeling horribly stupid and scared.

Laser is one of those treatments with "virtually no side effects" that many types of alternative practitioners think is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Lots of claims on what it can do. All it has done for me is set me back enough weeks/months of work that I am just sick about having done it. Just a word to the wise that some treatments may be benign for most people but as we all know we're special. :grouphug:

Enna70 05-11-2015 07:24 PM

I feel for you.... in pursue of pain relief I listened to getting a steroid injection and it was the worse thing I could have done!
I informed that Neurontin is a medication for MS....after learning about that and doing research I now take LDN....
So double :hug: and keep up the fight....

Always_Believe 05-11-2015 07:28 PM

Oh for the want of pain relief.
I'm so sorry this did not prove to be 'it' for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Littlepaw 05-11-2015 07:50 PM

Thanks for the hugs. I guess I can now say I tried their way and hopefully they'll give LDN. If not it will be the second doc to refuse. Neuro already said no citing it as a "controlled substance" and wouldn't discuss which shows how little is known about LDN since it is not controlled at all.

I am looking into finding an acceptable PM. I've been reluctant since I don't want much they offer but this may be the only way to get LDN. Crazy. Then at least I might have infusions as an option too. Oh the things one has to go through!

:hug:

Enna70 05-11-2015 08:13 PM

Yes, I had someone in the professional scene tell me that to get what one needs to jump through a few of their hoops...is it a test? Is it a way of passage? I dunno but I agree with you that you can say, hey I tried it, sadly it didn't work for me, how about (your plan here); :hug:

swimtime 05-11-2015 11:49 PM

It would be nice if all doctors would learn to listen really well to their patients, especially when they've done so much of their own research. :( So sorry you've been set back, hopefully it passes quickly for you.

birchlake 05-12-2015 05:47 AM

Thanks for the report Littlepaw....

I too experimented with cold laser. It didn't help. But fortunately for me, it didn't set me back or increase pain levels either.

I had previously had a good experience with using cold laser for unrelated knee pain, so I gave it a shot.

As they say, "your results may vary". Boy and how.

Good luck, keep us updated on LDN and hope you can get back to your baseline very soon Littlepaw!