NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Alcoholic Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/new-member-introductions/220245-alcoholic-neuropathy.html)

NewLife76 05-14-2015 02:19 AM

Alcoholic Neuropathy

Hey everyone. Am hoping to hear some recovery stories. This is getting severely depressing. My symptoms started about 2 years ago. Started with cramping of the hands and feet. I attributed it to dehydration. 2 years later...I now know it has been caused by alcohol. It has progressed into numbness of my left foot, weakness of the legs and lower back, and severe stiffness of the knees. The stiffness of the knees is a recent symptom that I am hoping/praying is due to attempting to start weightlifting again. The leg weakness sucks for me, because at one time I was very into fitness and could put a 400# barbell on my back and squat. In my recent attempt at trying to fix my leg weakness by returning to weightlifting...I could only manage 100#, which most 12 year olds could do. Afterwards my knees became extremely stiff. I continued pushing myself through these workouts for 2 weeks until I got to the point I could barely walk. My lower back is a new symptom as well, and am hoping that is a result of the attempted weightlifting as well. But the weakness and numbness have been ongoing for some time, as well as a strange ring around my abdominals that stays tight all the time. Feels like I'm wearing a tight belt around my midsection. It makes walking difficult, and running impossible. I've seen a couple recovery stories on here. Was hoping to hear more from others. I'm only 38. And the thought of being disabled already, is depressing to say the least.

Lara 05-14-2015 02:30 AM

Hello NewLife76,
Welcome to the NeuroTalk Support Groups!

You may have found them already, but I'll leave a couple of forum links below...

Peripheral Neuropathy Forum

PN Tips, Resources, Supplements & Other Treatments SubForum

Alcoholism, Addiction and Recovery Forum

There are some very inspiring and courageous members who post here and I'm sure you'll find support and information.

take care.

Kitt 05-14-2015 08:50 AM

Welcome NewLife76. :Wave-Hello:

Darlene 05-18-2015 12:52 AM

Nice to meet you!!

:Wave-Hello: Hello and welcome, happy to see you have come to be with us, it a great place to be. As you can see we have a great number and caring fellow members here, where you have find a supportive and relaxing place. Have fun looking into the different forums. Our shoulders are here for support in many ways.

Please keep us up to date on your condition. Again welcome, looking forward to seeing you around. My thoughts and prayers are with you. :smileypray:

Darlene :hug: