NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Chat (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/)
-   -   Disabled Living (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-chat/220718-disabled-living.html)

Bob-pa 05-25-2015 03:07 PM

Disabled Living

Didn't know what I should call this.

Here goes, I'm 59, male, use a wheelchair (MS), living in a nursing home.

Was living in an apartment and fell a lot went to the hospital, to rehab., was told only way I could return was to get aides. Which I did morning, to get me out of bed, evening, to put me in bed. Which meant I was with out an aide during the day, which worked fine for a while. Fell again many times went to hospital, to rehab, then a home evaluation was done, with someone from here going. Was told they would not allow me to return for safety reasons.

Now I'm stuck in a nursing home. Would rather be working, but I don't drive and transportation is very hard to get here (in the country). Would like to do some type of writing, start a group of wheelchair people.

Any ideas?

Bob

Lara 05-25-2015 04:35 PM

Hi Bob,

A lot of non-profit organizations and certain businesses must need people like yourself with first hand knowledge about particular health issues. Someone has to write their brochures and fliers etc..

Is there something in particular of interest or expertise on which you could concentrate your efforts?

If you like to write and are good with computers, you could set up a blog or website. Have you been in touch with an employment service at all? Not sure how it works where you live though.

You could start a support group in your area. Find a like minded person and brainstorm. There is a lot of info on the net about how to start a group.

Excuse the grammar.... just thinking out loud for you.

all the best.

Bob-pa 06-02-2015 07:08 PM

Disabled Living

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lara (Post 1144324)
Hi Bob,

A lot of non-profit organizations and certain businesses must need people like yourself with first hand knowledge about particular health issues. Someone has to write their brochures and fliers etc..

Is there something in particular of interest or expertise on which you could concentrate your efforts?

If you like to write and are good with computers, you could set up a blog or website. Have you been in touch with an employment service at all? Not sure how it works where you live though.

You could start a support group in your area. Find a like minded person and brainstorm. There is a lot of info on the net about how to start a group.

Excuse the grammar.... just thinking out loud for you.

all the best.

Thank You for the reply and ideas. I'm in PA and would like to start a support group. Want to do some type of writing.

Thanks again.

KnowNothingJon 06-02-2015 08:02 PM

Bob,

Were you looking for a group tht could mert locally? If not you could post some of your writings in the proper forum here, Creativity is the name I believe, and see where it takes you.

If it is a local thing some local website maybe or perhaps a coffeeshop swap board?

Just floating some ideas.

Jon

kicker 06-03-2015 05:27 PM

Wheelchair Kamikaze (Marc, who once was an active member of this forum) has a very informative blog that sounds like the one you want to start! Take a look at it! Blog is Wheelchair Kamikaze. If you Google it, it will pop up.