NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Desensitization? (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/221040-desensitization.html)

Jennijojo 06-01-2015 08:57 PM

Desensitization?

I went to my first ot/pt appointment and left wearing a tight sock like sleeve that goes from below my elbow and covers part of my hand. My nerves are going insane from this, holy cow, I didn't realize how sensitive it is. Anywho, anyone had success getting used to something like this and thus desensitized their limb a bit?
Therapist said its the least tight first and will get tighter. Said my muscles werent pliable and this would help. it woukd be a nice idea if exposing my arm to the things i shy away from woukd help. Does this make any difference in the long run?

Littlepaw 06-02-2015 01:32 PM

Is it like a lymphadema sleeve? Mild compression to help with swelling sounds great so long as you tolerate it. Slather on some lidocaine maybe? :D

Jennijojo 06-02-2015 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepaw (Post 1145914)
Is it like a lymphadema sleeve? Mild compression to help with swelling sounds great so long as you tolerate it. Slather on some lidocaine maybe? :D

Sorta like that :) I need to get some lidocaine! The sleeve really made me aware how sensitive I am not just in the wrist but up to my elbow. I toughed it out :) my arm isnt as hard but I had to take off the hand part for a while cause I got really swollen overnight and it was really really tight.
But all in all I'm feeling positive about the things we are trying. I'm more relaxed knowing I have some help with this :)

Kevscar 06-02-2015 08:09 PM

Something like that could make things a lot worse. I know of sufferers who have developed ulcers after having casts or bandaging put on their RSD affected limb and if you are one of the 7 - 8% of us who get wounds that never heal it could be very serious for you

Jennijojo 06-03-2015 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevscar (Post 1145991)
Something like that could make things a lot worse. I know of sufferers who have developed ulcers after having casts or bandaging put on their RSD affected limb and if you are one of the 7 - 8% of us who get wounds that never heal it could be very serious for you

I have this bump already in the arm in the affected are that I picked at and its never healed. I couldn't figure out what it was so of course I have to pick at it to see. I have been wondering if that's a crps thing. I wasn't sure but figured the blood flow and other problems coukd make wounds slow or non healing.
I took the stuff off cause with the swelling I had blue hand.

I think a soft loose one would have been fine once it calmed down. It was somewhat if a comforting feeling ( I like tight things or light pressure, its soothing to me) but I needed some circulation.

I'm gonna have to ask my dr to look at the sore on my arm! Thanks for the info! I will pay attention to that and talk to my ot about it. :)

Littlepaw 06-03-2015 06:44 AM

If your hand is swelling and getting blue it is definitely too tight! That's why I put "mild" compression, that way you start gently. Ask what they have larger, lymphadema sleeves come all sizes or can be ordered.

Jennijojo 06-03-2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Littlepaw (Post 1146062)
If your hand is swelling and getting blue it is definitely too tight! That's why I put "mild" compression, that way you start gently. Ask what they have larger, lymphadema sleeves come all sizes or can be ordered.

It didn't seem so tight at first :) will definitely let him know today that it needs to be more loose