NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Newbie! visual overload or visual clutter (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/221888-newbie-visual-overload-visual-clutter.html)

platinum 06-20-2015 06:24 PM

Newbie! visual overload or visual clutter

:eek:

Hey, brand new here! I was in an accident a few months ago (wow life changer) and a few things about PCS are things I need advice with.

I feel best in cool, dark rooms.

If you have feedback, give me a sense of what works for you, ok?
Visual overload
Visual clutter
Handling sensory overload

I'm learning what the "new me" can tolerate.

Platinum

lyndianne 06-20-2015 07:45 PM

An FL-41 tint put on my glasses REALLY helped me. I guess it's mainly for light sensitivity but for me that felt like everything I was looking at was too much. I looked at the ground a lot trying to avoid visual stimuli.

platinum 06-20-2015 08:38 PM

Great idea

Great idea that never occurred to me.
I wear sunglasses inside sometimes and that helps.
Thanks.

Mark in Idaho 06-20-2015 11:13 PM

platinum,

Welcome to NeuroTalk. The few struggles you are having are very common. The pink tint lyndianne mentioned help some if that is the problem you have. But, for many of us, the problem is the visual clutter issue you mention where the brain struggles to filter out the myriad different images that are not part of the focus of the view. This is a dysfunction of the filtering system. In my case, my neuro said my visual processing is working at 10 to 25% of the normal bandwidth. I have this same struggle with sounds.

There is a lot of good information and links in the Vitamins sticky at the top. The "You Look Great" YouTube series will be informative.

I'm sure you have other struggles, too. Feel free to tell us. We have heard them all and understand.

My best to you.

platinum 06-22-2015 05:13 AM

Mark,
Thanks for your feedback. I watched the video series, You look great!, and have been reading old threads. Vitamins are next.

I have multiple symptoms and am most probably bothered by the balance, vertigo, nausea, fatigue, pains, head pressure, tinnitus and the need for quiet but I know other people are much worse so I try to grin and bear it.

Muscle twitches are new and the only external sign. Can these issues be helped?

It is helpful of you to assist people. I was hoping you would write and you did.

I don't know where to post so I can learn more about recovery from pcs.

Thanks. Platinum

davOD 06-22-2015 09:06 AM

I got relief from sun glasses that covered the side (peripheral views)..... and noise canceling headphones......