NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Shingles vaccination (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/222143-shingles-vaccination.html)

budgies 06-26-2015 05:01 AM

Shingles vaccination

My husband, who has PD, has just been offered a shingles vaccination. Does anyone know if this is compatible with PD meds? He is currently on Madopar, Requip XL and Propanolol. I shall of course check with the pharmacist, but just wondered if anyone had experienced any adverse effects?

Tupelo3 06-26-2015 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budgies (Post 1150881)
My husband, who has PD, has just been offered a shingles vaccination. Does anyone know if this is compatible with PD meds? He is currently on Madopar, Requip XL and Propanolol. I shall of course check with the pharmacist, but just wondered if anyone had experienced any adverse effects?

That's an excellent question, budgies. I also had concerns about the taking the vaccine a few years ago, and I was also taking Amantadine, which has anti-viral effects. I looked into this closely along with my doctor and pharmacist. The pharmacist actually contacted Merck, the manufacturer of the vaccine, directly. I was told by everyone that there is no known negative interactions with the vaccine, zostavax, and PD medications. I had the vaccine with no complications or impact at all.

Good luck

soccertese 06-26-2015 07:19 AM

i received the vaccine 2 years ago, no side affects with my sinemet.

budgies 06-26-2015 09:23 AM

Shingles vaccination

Thank you so much Tupelo and Soccertese for taking the time to reply and for the reassurance. I shall now feel much easier when my husband has the vaccination.

Nan Cyclist 06-26-2015 09:25 AM

I had it too with no problems.

budgies 06-26-2015 09:35 AM

Shingles vaccination

Thank you too Nan for the reassurance - it's good to know that it's OK.

caroline2 06-26-2015 12:25 PM

Hi, all, I don't deal with PD but have a great interest in healing and keeping our immune systems strong and healthy. I have been taking OPC's for 20 yrs soon, these come in several forms as least: pycnogenol, grape seed extract and resveratrol. The first two are my main forms. I've posted about OPC's on the vits/supps area and believe they can HELP just about everyone's overall health.

They contain anti fungal, anti bacterial, anti viral properties and hence will keep us in better health overall.

I've never had shingles and would not get any vaccines that I am not comfortable with but believe these OPC's keep my immune system strong from so many nasty invaders to our health. I've seen shingles in a friend and she didn't take OPC's...tried to get her on them for years but claims since she has colitis that the OPC's give her issues with the colon. L-Lysine is an amino acid that one could take also for the herpes virus.

Do your homeworks if this interests you, there is so much to learn and know about it, it's out there, just to find it...

My cousin's husband passed last year from complications of PD, bowel blockage I believe she said. Magnesium is critical too and I think PD patients could have that deficiency too as I read so many are deficient. Magnesium and extra Vit C keep me moving good in the bowel environment.

I'm learning more every day, just got re-introduced to taping of my joints and finding it amazing with stability of my joints....