NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   I need help and support on cocaine induced neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/222491-help-support-cocaine-induced-neuropathy.html)

Blue7 07-03-2015 04:31 PM

I need help and support on cocaine induced neuropathy

I'm 31yrs old and have neuropathy from using cocaine a year ago. My neuropathy is on the whole side of my body on the left. My dr and neurologist have done a ct scan, mri of brain and neck, etc. All those test came back normal. So my neurologist just said that I have peripheral neuropathy. Neurontin helps to a certain degree, but makes me too tired. I don't know what else to do. I've been clean from drugs for a year, but the neuropathy hasn't gotten any better. I still do drink sometimes, but I don't think it's enough to cause any harm. I want to find a job and move on with life, but the burning pain has me frustrated, angry, suicidal, and depressed everyday. I need advice. Thanks.

KnowNothingJon 07-03-2015 05:02 PM

Stopping drinking would be wise. Has your blood work showb vitamin deficiencies? I don't know if what I use would be helpful, but it can't hurt.

Check out the suppliment thread above. I hope you find some relief.

Jon

Blue7 07-03-2015 05:09 PM

All my b vitamins in my bloodwork are good. I had high b6, but since then I stopped my multivitamin that caused it. I now just take magnesium 400 mgs gwice a day, 1000 mgs krill oil, vitamin d 2000 mgs, and vitamin b 12 methyl 1000 mgs.

Blue7 07-03-2015 05:13 PM

My b vitamins from my blood test are good. The only thing that was high was my b6. Since then I stopped the multivitamin that made it high. I now take 400 mgs of magnesium twice a day, 1000 mgs of krill oil, 1000 mgs of b12, 2000 mgs of vitamin d.

KnowNothingJon 07-03-2015 05:49 PM

I am by no means one of the experts here, but I really suggest sitting down, using tge search engine or even just dive into the stickies.

Have you tried RLA or ALA? I take it. I'm unsure how much it helps, but I will discuss it with my neurologist at my appointment in a few weeks. I've been taking it for over s year.

Please do not give up hope. Look around old threads, there are a number of extremely knowledgable people here.

My best,

Jon

Kitt 07-03-2015 06:08 PM

Welcome Blue7. :Tip-Hat:

baba222 07-03-2015 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnowNothingJon (Post 1152646)
I am by no means one of the experts here, but I really suggest sitting down, using tge search engine or even just dive into the stickies.

Have you tried RLA or ALA? I take it. I'm unsure how much it helps, but I will discuss it with my neurologist at my appointment in a few weeks. I've been taking it for over s year.

Please do not give up hope. Look around old threads, there are a number of extremely knowledgable people here.

My best,

Jon

+1

So sorry to hear about your neuropathy.
I started with ALA, then now use RLA and it does tone down my symptoms. I notice when I am late with it or forget it. (I went from no medications to several, along with supplements).

Hope you get some relief soon.

zkrp01 07-04-2015 10:58 AM

Little bits of help

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue7 (Post 1152617)
I'm 31yrs old and have neuropathy from using cocaine a year ago. My neuropathy is on the whole side of my body on the left. My dr and neurologist have done a ct scan, mri of brain and neck, etc. All those test came back normal. So my neurologist just said that I have peripheral neuropathy. Neurontin helps to a certain degree, but makes me too tired. I don't know what else to do. I've been clean from drugs for a year, but the neuropathy hasn't gotten any better. I still do drink sometimes, but I don't think it's enough to cause any harm. I want to find a job and move on with life, but the burning pain has me frustrated, angry, suicidal, and depressed everyday. I need advice. Thanks.

Your Neuro sounds like mine. Nobody here has the big answer, but we try and help each other chip away at the smaller problems. It is a process when your life has been changed and pain is a constant companion. There are some things that are pretty widely accepted as being true. Getting at least 5 hrs of sleep is needed for healing the mind and body. My Dr. has no problem with me taking a pill for sleep. I believe that pain can drive you to depression if the pain is great enough to keep you from getting sleep. Many here in pain management programs. The magnates here tell the truth as they know it from their own experience. Not so with U-Tube, I have heard conflicting advise there. I know that a sense of loss can cause all the symptoms you are assigning to the burning pain. It sucks, the loss and the pain. If you search for alcohol induced neurapathy and read those posts you may feel that alcohol needs to be in the rear-view mirror. I have to go but my little pearl is if your skin is burning and tender on the surface, get some Mortons Epsom Salt Lotion and squirt out about a quarter size portion and this used to do my foot and ankle. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

janieg 07-04-2015 01:00 PM

Sorry for your situation, Blue, but you have much company here.

I'll echo what people have been saying about RLA/ALA. I've tried a jillion supplements, an RLA is the only one I think really gave me some improvement.

Here is the one I take:

http://www.amazon.com/Doctors-Best-S.../dp/B000I4C19G

How long had you been on neurontin? When I tried it, the first week was a little rough, and like you, I was wiped out and had brain fog. That did go away with some time.

Morton's Epsom Salt lotion and lidocaine patches offer me relief as well. The latter are prescription only.

Stick with us for support and suggestions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue7 (Post 1152617)