NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Over-stimulation via shower (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/222598-stimulation-via-shower.html)

MicroMan 07-06-2015 05:48 PM

Over-stimulation via shower

Since my concussion, I've had my spouse, doctor, and therapist mention that when things get too stressful or overwhelming, I should find a way to relax. Interestingly, the one thing they universally suggested was to have a hot shower. My immediate response has always been that the issue I have with a shower, particularly lengthier ones, is that inevitably I end up ruminating intensely, and by the time I'm done my mind feels fried.

I had not put much thought into why I ruminated in the shower, but had always assumed it related to me being taxed by my morning routine: wake up, feed my children, have breakfast, deal with the dog, and then go shower. However, I recently started showering at the start of my routine thinking it would help. It didn't.

When I mentioned this phenomenon to my better-half, she immediately said I should try wearing ear plugs while I shower... sheer genius!! Since wearing the plugs during my showers, I ruminate far, far less and my mind feels no worse for wear at its conclusion. I had overlooked it, but the constant sound of water splashing evidently was leading to over-stimulation.

When I mentioned this to my Occupational Therapist, she said she had another patient with a concussion who had to shower with his wife so that he wouldn't ruminate. When I heard this, I thought there may be others in our PCS community that may endure an easily avoidable source of unwanted stimulation.

Hope this helps someone!

Mark in Idaho 07-06-2015 06:35 PM

Showering with the wife sounds like a worthwhile distraction. For those without someone to shower with, maybe a shower radio would help. I find that it helps to find a distraction of any kind.

DannyT 07-06-2015 06:55 PM

I notice the shower tends to temporarily increase my tinnitus. Other than that, it is a very soothing experience for me. It tends to relieve pain from my head, neck and back and also helps with anxiety and depression.

My question is: What do you do when the distraction itself causes overstimulation? This is the dilemma I have found myself dealing with for nearly 5 months.

Mark in Idaho 07-06-2015 11:44 PM

It is important to moderate any distraction. A distraction that causes over-stimulation is more than just a distraction. For many of us this skill of moderating our environment will be needed for a lifetime. It may not be as needed in the near future after we recover but will be useful to have as we get older and natural brain deterioration causes a return of symptoms.

Having gone through these cycles since I was in high school, I wish I had known then what I know now.

DannyT 07-07-2015 02:52 PM

I definitely understand what you are saying but I can't seem to find many tasks that could be classified as distractions.

Do you have any examples? I used to play solitaire but now I can't focus on the cards without getting eye aches.