NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   autonomic trouble breathing (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/222734-autonomic-trouble-breathing.html)

Healthgirl 07-09-2015 10:11 AM

autonomic trouble breathing

For the past two weeks I have been having constricted breathing. Anytime I do anything physical even just putting laundry away, my breathing becomes like Darth Vadar. Forget about going outside- it takes about 20 minutes to recover. I had a bad attack last week from a piddly little walk that I had a very hard time getting air in.
I have never had asthma or bronchial problems in my life, so this is new. It is terrible. I am remaining very calm about it, but do think I should get this checked and probably will need a nebulizer of some sort. Who do I even go to? My neurologist probably can't do anything so probably a pulmonologist? I'm so sick of this.

mrsD 07-09-2015 11:25 AM

Do you have wheezing sounds?

Do your muscles in your chest feel like they are not working?

Wheezing sounds respond to inhalers. The difficulty is inside the lungs.

But muscular problems are another thing entirely. Myasthenia gravis and MS affect the muscles of the chest.

Jomar 07-09-2015 12:01 PM

Are the muscles in-between your ribs sore to touch?

If so, then possible trigger points, or possible muscle spasms are the cause...

madisongrrl 07-09-2015 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Healthgirl (Post 1153814)
I have never had asthma or bronchial problems in my life, so this is new. It is terrible. I am remaining very calm about it, but do think I should get this checked and probably will need a nebulizer of some sort. Who do I even go to? My neurologist probably can't do anything so probably a pulmonologist? I'm so sick of this.

I had the same thing for several months when mine started in 2014. You feel like someone is putting weight on your chest and you can't get enough breath in. I pretty much lived in a recliner during that time because I was so winded. How is your heartrate? Elevated? Do you have palpitations? In doctors offices, my heartrate would always be over 100 bpm while sitting (normally it would be in the low 60s)

Mine is thankfully much better now, and I only get that feeling a few times a week instead of constantly; the feeling is also less intense. I didn't receive medication, but I did take d-ribose (plus all the standard neuropathy supplements) and began water walking to attempt to minimize all the deconditioning. I feel like these two things helped a bunch. I've lucky to have seen improvement. It seems like most neurologists tend to error on the side of not treating autonomic symptoms with medication unless they are severe.

Healthgirl 07-09-2015 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1153828)
Do you have wheezing sounds?

Do your muscles in your chest feel like they are not working?

Wheezing sounds respond to inhalers. The difficulty is inside the lungs.

But muscular problems are another thing entirely. Myasthenia gravis and MS affect the muscles of the chest.

It feels like trachea bronchial tightness. In chest, not lungs I think. It's like the air is so thick I can't get it in. It has been very humid here and I can't tolerate being outside because of this, but even in the a/c it still happens upon minimal exertion. I have no history of breathing problems or asthma.

mrsD 07-09-2015 12:52 PM

So start with the easiest solution... get an inhaler.
Your GP will want to listen to your chest...for rales etc. before giving an albuterol inhaler.

I have some episodes of swelling in the throat from my HAE...and at those times I breathe strangely and loudly. But that is a rare condition I have, so I just do calming exercises and that helps.
Humidity I agree is awful for me too. But I always carry an inhaler... bus exhaust and fireplace smoke, and ammonia give me asthma attacks.

You could have a mixed condition too.

Healthgirl 07-09-2015 02:55 PM

Thanks Mrs D,
I went to my primary and she actually did give me an albuteral pump thing. I haven't used it yet because I hate drugs!!! I don't know if it will even work.

I asked someone I know who has asthma with an inhaler pump, and she said the only one that works for her is the one with prednisone in it.

My mom thinks I shouldn't use it unless I'm wheezing.

Part of me thinks I should just try it during one of these episodes because it might help with the diagnostic part of what's going on. I just don't think it will help if my muscles are what is causing the oxygen problem.

hydropillow 07-09-2015 04:51 PM

You should definitely try it! There's nothing to lose, since you do not have to commit to it. Try and see if it helps and you might feel better, that's what we are all aiming for eventually! There is no need to be anxious about it, just give it a shot.

mrsD 07-09-2015 06:28 PM

How to use an inhaler properly:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000041.htm

If you put it in your mouth, the aerosol spray will coat your mouth and be absorbed systemically and raise heart rate, etc.

Placing it 1-2 inches in front of the lips and inhaling as you press it down, allows you to inhale the mist as much as possible, which is where it has to go...down the pipes and into the bronchi.

Healthgirl 07-09-2015 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1153949)
How to use an inhaler properly:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...ons/000041.htm

If you put it in your mouth, the aerosol spray will coat your mouth and be absorbed systemically and raise heart rate, etc.

Placing it 1-2 inches in front of the lips and inhaling as you press it down, allows you to inhale the mist as much as possible, which is where it has to go...down the pipes and into the bronchi.

Wow thanks! I would have used it incorrectly. I will try it next time it happens just to see.