NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   Denied Savella, now denied Cymbalta (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/222981-denied-savella-denied-cymbalta.html)

BioBased 07-14-2015 02:20 PM

Denied Savella, now denied Cymbalta

My insurance company denied Savella, and now Cymbalta.

I don't really want to take either med, because I read that neurontin, along with these kind of meds interrupt brain synapses. I need all of mine, but I am willing to lose something to regain my mobility if these drugs actually help.

What do you take?

Does anyone take something holistic that works?

Would I be better off with medical marijauna?

LIT LOVE 07-14-2015 02:49 PM

This seems to be an insurance issue?

My pharmacist is good at suggesting generic options that are less expensive.

LIT LOVE 07-14-2015 02:58 PM

Regarding medical marijuana, there are some issues that come up--it's inconvenient to use in public. If you plan to travel out of state, it can be a problem. If you are on SSI/SSDI or plan to apply, you will be lacking needed medical documentation.

Russell 07-14-2015 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioBased (Post 1155034)

I don't really want to take either med, because I read that neurontin, along with these kind of meds interrupt brain synapses. I need all of mine, but I am willing to lose something to regain my mobility if these drugs actually help.

What do you take?

Hey Bio,
See if you could try Gabapentin as a Cymbalta substitute.:hug:

cdwall 07-14-2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

What do you take?

Effexor is in the same class of drugs as Cymbalta. It's a good one to try. I take it and have had no side effects. Cymbalta made me gain too much weight. The generic name for Effexor is venlafaxine HCl. You want the XR version.

BioBased 07-14-2015 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russell (Post 1155056)
Hey Bio,
See if you could try Gabapentin as a Cymbalta substitute.:hug:

I am taking 1200mgs of neurontin.

BioBased 07-14-2015 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1155047)
Regarding medical marijuana, there are some issues that come up--it's inconvenient to use in public. If you plan to travel out of state, it can be a problem. If you are on SSI/SSDI or plan to apply, you will be lacking needed medical documentation.

Whew, thank goodness these will not be problems. I am going to use edibles!

LIT LOVE 07-14-2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BioBased (Post 1155075)
Whew, thank goodness these will not be problems. I am going to use edibles!

The only one where it wouldn't be an issue with edibles is it wouldn't be an issue in public. I wouldn't tale pot brownies to Nevada and the SS issue is complex, but I won;t get into it unless someone has questions.

happygirlpa 07-14-2015 09:31 PM

Quote:

What do you take?

Hi- i take generic cymbalta. I agree w others that it sounds like there's an insurance problem. Call your insur. They should tell you why they wont cover savella or cymbalta. My dr said savella is expensive and not avail in generic. There is a generic cymbalta that is reasonably priced. Sometime the insur co needs the doctor to explain to them exactly why the medication is required for you. Id steer clear of med marij until you've pursued the other presriptions. Cant imagine dealing w drug sniffing dogs at the airport. Haha

BioBased 07-15-2015 04:11 AM

Info about medical marijauna.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/08/health...mind-marijuana

I found the above on the RSD website, the doctor specifically mentions the effectiveness of MM on neuropathic pain.