NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Gluten (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/223416-gluten.html)

Muireann 07-22-2015 02:20 PM

Gluten

Has anyone here improved pain issues by going gluten free?

Ragtop262 07-22-2015 04:20 PM

I tried gluten free for a while. Didn't do anything for me. I'm still trying to limit gluten to some extent, particularly from white flour. But no longer completely GF.

I know there are a number of stories of people with gluten intolerance that results in neuropathic symptoms. They supposedly do see improvement when going gluten free.

janieg 07-22-2015 04:57 PM

Didn't notice a difference here either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muireann (Post 1156875)

Joano 07-22-2015 05:22 PM

A year ago, maybe even longer, I listened to two different seminars on line, one on going gluten free, the the other on hypothyroidism. The doctors on both seminars recommended gluten free to anyone with autoimmune diseases, and of course, hypothyroidism is that.

I have done that, and while I still have burning in my legs, it is not as severe as it was in the beginning--I can sleep at night where I used to roam around in the wee hours walking on the cool tile for relief. I also watch the sugar intake, and once in a while eat a cookie, or have a few bites of lime pie if I'm eating out, but have stopped drinking wine and eating night shades and do take the recommended supplements. So who is to say which remedy is helping with the pain? I think they all play a part.

canagirl 07-22-2015 06:47 PM

Didn't do anything for me

Cheryl1818 07-22-2015 07:51 PM

My doctor recommended this as something worth trying. I'm on day three with no gluten. I plan to give it 3 months.

hopeful 07-22-2015 08:05 PM

I did it for about 6 months. It really didn't make a difference for me.

beatle 07-23-2015 08:05 AM

No change for me either.

mrsD 07-23-2015 09:07 AM

Gluten free helps my GI problems. When I cheat a bit, I do notice more foot pain at night. I think I have a FODMAPS issue, and gluten is not recommended for people with this food intolerance.

If I eat regularly (containing gluten) though my hands also seem to react much more to the gluten than when I am avoiding it.
So I remain on gluten free for the most part. Tinkyada pasta, Blue Diamond rice crackers, no pretzels/crackers, etc. I don't eat alot of carbs anyway.

MSG is really a big trigger for me, so I can only eat simple things now. I can have terrible burning from MSG.

Neuroproblem 07-23-2015 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muireann (Post 1156875)

if you have celiacs, gluten intolerance or sensitivity, it is advised to go gluten free, because of the autoimmune disease that results in it.
If your just going gluten free, without having any of those 3 diseases, it most likely wont affect you, except its more expensive food than gluten containing products.