NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Food Court (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/)
-   -   Vegan Breakfast (https://www.neurotalk.org/food-court/223952-vegan-breakfast.html)

KnowNothingJon 08-02-2015 10:04 AM

Vegan Breakfast

Breakfast, never my strong suit. I have never been a strong morning eater. Being diagnosed diabetic, research of how important early meals are, it all does little to motivate that early eating.

I now have that built in excuse to put it off an hour plus, b-12 absorbtion, but even so I struggle often. I find pain plus my current medicationhas really dulled my appetite.

Lately though I enjoy a breakfast burrito that is sadly, unfriendly to many with neuropathy issues, as it is nightshade heavy. It is half a sweet pepper (usually red, orange or yellow), half a sweet onion with about half a cup of Wegmans brand Don't Have a Pig soy sausage crumble in a pan, high heat with olive oil, salt, pepper and some assprted seasoning of the day. I eat teo burritos withhot sauce once the crumble has a sear and the onion has some color, though not carmelization.

I don't crave much food lately. I enjoy even less. I eat regularly because I know I have to maintain balanced blood glucose and not yo yo. This meal though, this one I may have a chance to develop a daily meal that I actually savor. Refreshing.

mrsD 08-02-2015 10:49 AM

While your breakfast sounds yummmy...it has MSG in it and hot sauce..both can flare PN pain considerably.

I have to be careful with seasonings. Even paprika...which comes from the nightshade family and is in sausage and hot dogs etc...and some other aged meats.

Black beans, rice (or gluten free noodles) and some left over chicken (we broil up some chicken breast to have left overs for 2 more meals). I use some Newman's dressings on this mix or butter. It is very filling, with lots of protein. I like Newman's vinigrette, and poppy seed dressings for noodles, or just plain butter. I use Tinkyada rotini noodles (gluten free) when I have noodles.

I also do grits (Quaker) which you can add bacon or cheese to, or just butter and 100% maple syrup. This is a good gluten free meal for cold mornings.

I have had to learn to cut out the seasonings...if I want a relatively pain free day. Also no MSG for me...or it is burning pain for days after.

KnowNothingJon 08-02-2015 11:28 AM

Is the msg in the sausage? I try to avoid that as well. I cut out nightshades for a month and saw no difference. I enjoy them too much to leave them behind if there is no effect. I will dump the sausage though if that is msg laden or send it back to once a week ville.

KnowNothingJon 08-02-2015 11:35 AM

Of course it is the "sausage". I like some seiten too, but I try to get most of my protein from nuts, lentils and the like.

I also find it adds up in little pieces in other forms. I may try and add it every other day and look for an increase in symptoms. I struggle on the morning eating most of all. It is when nausea is most likely and it is also when I have to get the kids ready too.

But I never did look for msg in that product. Thank you once again, Mrs. D.

Jon

mrsD 08-02-2015 11:40 AM

Most processed food contains MSG... even vegan substitutes.

There is MSG everywhere.. it also has other names to fool you.

The first column are the alternate names:
http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

When things taste "yummy" look for the MSG.

The glutamate will stimulate the NMDA pain receptors. The small amounts in natural foods like parmesan cheese, are organically bound and released more slowly into the body.

KnowNothingJon 08-02-2015 11:53 AM

Right. I do try to limit them for a reason, I didn't use them at all the first year. It all comes down to the time crunch and economics, unfortunately. But, not in this case.

I will slowly use what I have. The rotating seasonings are not likely to have additives, mostly between thyme, oregano, celery seed and the hot sauce is franks- vinegar based.

I try to clean up what I can. While I enjoy the stuff it is not enough to increase usage, which I have in the past day or so. I think my daily banana and a half a cup pf almonds, while bland after a point, is my better avenue.