NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Turn on button on tower (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/224701-button-tower.html)

caroline2 08-17-2015 06:39 PM

Turn on button on tower

I have a new used Lenovo Windows 7 and it's great, but the turn on button is acting like it's overused. My friend had this computer at her work and when the company closed down, I was able to buy it....

So I'm wondering if I don't turn off the computer and use the Sleep mode when I go to sleep, how does one "wake up" the computer. I just went to the market and put it in Sleep mode and when I came back and tried to wake up the computer, it wouldn't and I had to use the turn on button on tower.

Any thoughts....thanks much.

Jomar 08-17-2015 06:48 PM

Usually move /jiggle the mouse, or hit a key/space bar should wake it up.

If in hibernation or if those don't work to wake up from sleep mode- then sometimes there is a reset button near the power button ,or have to do a quick push on the power button to wake up.

If those don't work, then explore deeper in to the power settings on that computer - check screen saver time out, & power options.

These can explain better than I and may have videos or step by step how to do it-
https://www.google.com/search?q=Wind...6+wake+up+mode

If none of that works -
You might have to look up how to check settings in the bios , maybe in the power settings the mouse wake up/keyboard wake up is not set up...

bluesfan 08-17-2015 10:23 PM

One other thing worth checking is the inside of the tower itself - the button may be clogged with dust. We recently had a technician come along to our SeniorNet group and demonstrate how easily dust can build up inside the towers - he recommended cleaning yearly. If you can get the cover off and the inside is dusty then post a message and I can give you some tips to clean safely. Make sure the computer is off & unplugged before removing the cover.

caroline2 08-17-2015 10:26 PM

Thanks I've been practicing the sleep function and think I'll let the computer sleep all night and see how the morning will be.....I've been doing all you said in the first sentence of your reply. I have a fear that the button is not where it needs to be. I don't know if it came to it, could the button be repaired....

kiwi33 08-18-2015 12:48 AM

Caroline, I agree with bluesfan's ideas.

It is amazing how much dust and general grot can accumulate inside a tower if it is not cleaned regularly.

Icehouse 08-18-2015 06:01 AM

While I agree with cleaning the inside of the tower, I am not sure that putting a "tower" to sleep is even needed.

Laptops, yes, if you are on battery, but a tower is plugged in and has no need to conserve power.

I would either leave it on 24\7 or just turn it off at night and power up in the morning....

mrsD 08-18-2015 09:43 AM

We rarely turn off our tower. We have a Dell and it has an energy saving feature, and goes to sleep all by itself after a few minutes of screen saver. So does our monitor.

We just wiggle the mouse and it wakes up itself.

We have two surge protectors plugged in a line, so we leave it on all the time. If a huge storm comes thru, or we leave home for more than a day, we turn it off.

To reboot after a download, we do "restart" which does not need the button at all.

Jomar 08-18-2015 11:43 AM

I use sleep/hibernate modes to save energy use in general-

[A typical desktop computer uses about 65 to 250 watts. ]

[Modern computers automatically go to "sleep" when you haven't used them for a while, drawing only 0-6 watts. (Putting the computer to sleep also sleeps the monitor, on most models.) In the past, turning on the sleep setting was the most important way to save on computer energy use, but now that the sleep option is turned on by default out of the box, that's pretty much done for you. Just make sure you don't override it by turning it off. Of course, you can go the other direction, tweaking your sleep and power usage settings, especially by having your computer sleep sooner after a period of non-use. Here's where to set your options:]

[A screensaver that shows any image on the screen doesn't save any energy at all]

http://michaelbluejay.com/electricity/computers.html

caroline2 08-18-2015 12:12 PM

I put the computer in the sleep mode all night and notice the on button green light flashes while in that mode. I was able to log on by just working with mouse, it was pretty quick this morning.

I keep my computer on all day and have been turning off when I go to bed but as I've said the on button is a bit stressed from maybe being pressed too much and hard.

I don't know if the sleep mode flashing green light does any harm to power supply. Maybe I'll call Lenovo and see if they can talk to me.

I know I've heard some folks keep their desk tops on all the time. My old mind just tells me to turn it off when not in use. We are in a heat mess here and I'm forever hearing about power saving in our houses...unplug a lot and turn off as many lights as one can.

Thanks all, I'll have to figure it out.

Jomar 08-18-2015 12:58 PM

If you are brave.. you can go into the BIOS settings and set it to turn on every day at a set time. then you don't need to press the power button..

But read up on it first , and don't make any changes if you are not 100% confidant of what you are doing..

I had mine set up for auto start up, but the motherboard has a problem now and doesn't keep the settings anymore. (I did try 3 new batteries on mobo , so that wasn't the problem)

Not ready to buy a new mobo yet, so i am manually starting mine for now, unless I hibernate it at night..