NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   What is the difference between SFN & PN? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/224702-difference-sfn-pn.html)

KateKline 08-17-2015 06:41 PM

What is the difference between SFN & PN?

What is difference between SFN & PN?
I was told by my neuro doc after EMG/ NCV testing that I DID NOT have neuropathy. Then last month was told after punch biopsies that I have SFN. What is the difference. My left leg and arm are affected .......and I have terrible pressure in my upper abs and back on and off........TERRIBLE ringing in my ears every night. I'm sooooo miserable. Help!
Thanks
Kate

Patrick Winter 08-17-2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KateKline (Post 1163468)
What is difference between SFN & PN?
I was told by my neuro doc after EMG/ NCV testing that I DID NOT have neuropathy. Then last month was told after punch biopsies that I have SFN. What is the difference. My left leg and arm are affected .......and I have terrible pressure in my upper abs and back on and off........TERRIBLE ringing in my ears every night. I'm sooooo miserable. Help!
Thanks
Kate

Small Fiber is just a form of neuropathy. It is peripheral as well. There are other forms that affect the large fibers and motor function. Small fiber usually results in pain, burning, tingling, buzzing, numbness, etc. You also might want to look up autonomic neuropathy which can cause some of the other issues you mentioned.

Have you had extensive blood work done? Testing for diabetes, thyroid, toxicity, vitamin levels, autoimmune issues, etc. ? That would be essential now that you have a confirmed diagnosis. A good neuro will want to search for the cause of SFN, once its diagnosed. A skin biopsy is pretty accurate in diagnosis SFN.

Neuroproblem 08-18-2015 04:18 AM

no difference, but sfn specific to the small fibers nerves, and peripheral means neuropathy of the nerves outside of autonomic system, not autonomic system. Mostly sensory nerves are affected. Small fiber can cause pn.

stillHoping 08-18-2015 04:36 AM

• The central nervous system – Brain, Spinal cord
  • The peripheral nervous system - All the nerves except for the brain and the
spinal cord. It contains 3 branches:
  • Sensory
  • Motor
  • Autonomic
Neuropathy is a disorder of the peripheral nervous system
SFN is a form of neuropathy that affects the smaller fibers in the peripheral nervous system. The damage can include sensory and autonomic nerve fibers.

The skin biopsy tests the small fibers, and EMG tests the large fibers of the peripheral nervous system.

Healthgirl 08-18-2015 06:08 AM

Also peripheral neuropathy is distal, where SFN can be non length dependent. It can be all over your body and face. Like me:(

Healthgirl 08-18-2015 06:29 AM

What are your symptoms in your left arm and leg? That is where mine started too.

glenntaj 08-18-2015 06:48 AM

See my response in the other thread you posted:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread224697.html

It elaborates on what is said here, and points you towards our Useful Websites section at the top of this forum for even more explanatory information.

uglogirl 08-18-2015 08:46 AM

Does anyone know what causes the ringing in the ears from Neuropathy?

Uglogirl

Kitt 08-18-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stillHoping (Post 1163551)
  • The central nervous system – Brain, Spinal cord
  • The peripheral nervous system - All the nerves except for the brain and the
spinal cord. It contains 3 branches:
  • Sensory
  • Motor
  • Autonomic
Neuropathy is a disorder of the peripheral nervous system
SFN is a form of neuropathy that affects the smaller fibers in the peripheral nervous system. The damage can include sensory and autonomic nerve fibers.

The skin biopsy tests the small fibers, and EMG tests the large fibers of the peripheral nervous system.

I have it all due to Charcot-Marie-Tooth syndrome (CMT). CMT is in the peripheral nervous system (PNS). Everything outside of the central nervous system (CNS). It is the most common "inherited" disorder. There are more than 70 types of it.

Lukesmom 08-18-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uglogirl (Post 1163606)
Does anyone know what causes the ringing in the ears from Neuropathy?

Uglogirl

Yes, I would like to know this also...I've had this non-stop since my symptoms began. It's so aggravating!