NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Anyone had symptoms worsen when getting a common cold? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/224799-symptoms-worsen-getting-common-cold.html)

Patrick Winter 08-19-2015 01:05 PM

Anyone had symptoms worsen when getting a common cold?

I Hadn't had a common cold in about 2 years. At that time I hadn't had full blown Small Fiber. Now i got my first hit of a common cold/upper respiratory deal. Seems like it's amping up the "Biting/Stabbling" in hands and feet aspect of my SFN that had really not been something I experienced in a while (just burning at night). Has anyone found this to be the case at all?

bluesfan 08-19-2015 01:41 PM

Hi Patrick
Can't say I can confirm that but it is possible - any sort of inflammation is likely to aggravate neuropathy - last time I had a head cold my PN was already on 'full-steam ahead' due to recent surgery.

PN (& sfn) can also be affected by seasonal variations in climate and possibly barometric pressure. I asked others here about that a while ago - here's the link to the thread if you're interested:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread222502.html

Hope you get that cold cleared up soon and the sfn calms down.

boiler1993 08-19-2015 05:25 PM

Patrick!
I had actually asked this question before I believe. My symptoms depending on what kind of illness will get SO MUCH worse. Mine in the past hasn't been increased burning but HUGE increase in skin sensitivity to clothing - so you are not alone in this observation!

Patrick Winter 08-19-2015 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boiler1993 (Post 1164178)
Patrick!
I had actually asked this question before I believe. My symptoms depending on what kind of illness will get SO MUCH worse. Mine in the past hasn't been increased burning but HUGE increase in skin sensitivity to clothing - so you are not alone in this observation!

Thanks, I guess there has got to be an autoimmunune aspect to it, even though they have not discovered that in my case. the immune system must be drained from the work involved.

Neuroproblem 08-20-2015 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick Winter (Post 1164068)
I Hadn't had a common cold in about 2 years. At that time I hadn't had full blown Small Fiber. Now i got my first hit of a common cold/upper respiratory deal. Seems like it's amping up the "Biting/Stabbling" in hands and feet aspect of my SFN that had really not been something I experienced in a while (just burning at night). Has anyone found this to be the case at all?

As respiratory viruses are beginning to be seen as triggers for autoimmune neuropathy, its highly possible it can trigger it, because when you have a cold or the flu, massive inflammatory processes are going in your body, and would certainly worsen your neuropathy. Cold and flu are suspected to cause delayed effects as well. my PN began little more than a month after i had a pretty bad cold. i had bronchitis for a week, after the cold was gone.

Patrick Winter 08-20-2015 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neuroproblem (Post 1164322)
As respiratory viruses are beginning to be seen as triggers for autoimmune neuropathy, its highly possible it can trigger it, because when you have a cold or the flu, massive inflammatory processes are going in your body, and would certainly worsen your neuropathy. Cold and flu are suspected to cause delayed effects as well. my PN began little more than a month after i had a pretty bad cold. i had bronchitis for a week, after the cold was gone.

Thanks.

I would often get chronic tracheitus (sic). 2 to 3 times a year before my SFN went full blown. My GP said there is likely an auto immune issue going on with me. My Thyroid nodules are also proof of that.