NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Myasthenia Gravis (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/)
-   -   Can a thymoma be visible between your collarbones? (https://www.neurotalk.org/myasthenia-gravis/224961-thymoma-visible-collarbones.html)

beegolden 08-23-2015 03:04 AM

Can a thymoma be visible between your collarbones?

Recently my doc thought I might have MG because so many of my symptoms match. However I do have other diagnoses that could cause them. The one thing that is a bit of a concern is a growth between my collarbones (and now spreading). I thought it was from my RA but now wonder. So, can a thymoma be seen between the collarbones when looking at someone?

Thanks!

Stellatum 08-23-2015 01:02 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "between the collar bones," but has anyone ever checked your thyroid gland? Google it to see where it is. There are different reasons that could cause your thyroid to swell.

Whatever it is, it needs to be checked out immediately!

Abby

beegolden 08-24-2015 02:55 AM

Thanks Abby. It isn't my thyroid, according to my docs. The thyroid is higher on the throat than this growth. This one is nestled right between the ends of the left and right collarbones. I understand that they can occur from RA which is probably the culprit but thought I'd check to see if it could be from the thymus since I have MG symptoms.

I mis-wrote "spreading" as today I realized that the growth is not connected to the swelling around the collarbones.
all the best

wbdolphin 08-24-2015 02:03 PM

Thymoma causing swelling?

Bee

A "normal" thymus, in an adult should be roughly the size of a walnut. An enlarged thymus (thymic hyperplasia), can be excessively huge. Mine, upon trans sternal thymectomy was, 4" by 5". A man in our local MG support group's was 5" by 11" !!!! Depending on the size of the thymus, the location and other medical conditions, I would say that it would cause visible swelling.

Lisa

***Just my opinion***

beegolden 08-25-2015 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbdolphin (Post 1165538)
Bee

A "normal" thymus, in an adult should be roughly the size of a walnut. An enlarged thymus (thymic hyperplasia), can be excessively huge. Mine, upon trans sternal thymectomy was, 4" by 5". A man in our local MG support group's was 5" by 11" !!!! Depending on the size of the thymus, the location and other medical conditions, I would say that it would cause visible swelling.

Lisa

***Just my opinion***

Thanks so much, Lisa. Wow, the thymus can get huge! What I see/feel is nowhere that large.

Wishing you a wonderful day!

southblues 08-26-2015 11:52 AM

It needs to be checked out no matter what it is.

beegolden 08-27-2015 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southblues (Post 1166031)
It needs to be checked out no matter what it is.

Yes, of course, Celeste. I have asked different docs several times about it but none seemed concerned enough to investigate further. Thanks for your reply.