NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Computers and Technology (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/)
-   -   Anyone upgrading to the FREE Win 10 yet? (https://www.neurotalk.org/computers-and-technology/225063-upgrading-free-win-10-a.html)

mrsD 08-25-2015 08:23 AM

Anyone upgrading to the FREE Win 10 yet?

Hubby has started the process last night. He is using his old Win7
that has a broken keyboard and is "expendable" in case any snag occurs. It took all night to download 2 gig --the largest download ever. Now it is installing... looks like a long day in store for it. He signed up for it right away, so he is early I guess compared to other people.

I'll be interested if anyone who is going to try this, or has already, has any comments. ;)

Kitt 08-25-2015 09:20 AM

My better half has installed it on one computer. Another computer took awhile and it depends on what you have. So far he says it's O.K. He doesn't like some things but others are fine. Have to get used to it. There are some things they are working on. I do not plan to install it.

Wiix 08-25-2015 11:03 AM

I read somewhere that Windows 10 sends a text message on everyone every 10 seconds to the government. It's a spying technique. I am not comfortable with that. Even your Emails. :eek:

http://betanews.com/2015/07/31/the-r...-your-privacy/

Icehouse 08-25-2015 12:14 PM

I am ready to upgrade (just for giggles) on a spare laptop I have, but I am going to follow this article and "adjust" the settings. I will not use this laptop for personal use until I am comfortable with it....

http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-...ranoids-guide/

Kitt 08-25-2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wiix (Post 1165751)
I read somewhere that Windows 10 sends a text message on everyone every 10 seconds to the government. It's a spying technique. I am not comfortable with that. Even your Emails. :eek:

http://betanews.com/2015/07/31/the-r...-your-privacy/

Cortana will snoop on you. Also, the cloud can be suspect. Don't store anything in either one. And yes, Edge has ads. And right now there is no ad blocker that works with it.

Firefox works the same as always on Windows 10. Ad blocker works so no ads.

kiwi33 08-25-2015 05:16 PM

I think that I will wait for a while because Version 1.0 of anything often has bugs in it.

Jomar 08-25-2015 05:30 PM

[I noticed some disturbing privacy defaults in Windows 10]

[I am pretty surprised by the far-reaching data collection that Microsoft seems to want. But, I am even more surprised by the fact that the settings all default to incredibly intrusive. I am certain that most individuals will just accept the defaults and have no idea how much information they are giving away.

With all of these settings on these two screens enabled I might as well relocate my computer to Microsoft headquarters and have the entire company look over my shoulder.]
https://jonathan.porta.codes/2015/07...vacy-defaults/

:eek::eek:

Wiix 08-25-2015 06:53 PM

I also have serious concerns with The Cloud. :confused:

Lara 08-26-2015 04:14 PM

I'm not sure what The Cloud is, but I know that with iCloud you need to actually sign onto it. It doesn't come as a default setting already on.

Wiix 08-26-2015 04:26 PM

The Cloud, iCloud. The same thing.

mrsD 08-26-2015 04:35 PM

Hubby is moving along with it. He says there are 12 set up functions, and as Jo pointed out, you have to answer them.

He rejected 11 out of the 12 and left the only one he thought might be useful...the report crashes to Microsoft when they happen. All the rest he answered NO to.

Win 10 is rejecting some existing programs. It just rejected my Jasc/Corel graphics program. He is going to try and reload it from my CD disc. We'll see how that goes.

Hockey 09-03-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1165731)
Hubby has started the process last night. He is using his old Win7
that has a broken keyboard and is "expendable" in case any snag occurs. It took all night to download 2 gig --the largest download ever. Now it is installing... looks like a long day in store for it. He signed up for it right away, so he is early I guess compared to other people.

I'll be interested if anyone who is going to try this, or has already, has any comments. ;)

Wow! How fast is your internet service? I live in a very remote area and don't have anything approaching genuine high speed. Sounds like the Leafs would win a Stanley Cup, or two, before Windows 10 finished downloading on my system.

tnthomas 09-03-2015 10:18 PM

I'm not a 'regular' Windows user, but I am a computer hobbyist and have a copy of Windows 7 to qualify with for a Windows 10 download.

I won't run the W10 install for personal use, I'll just be playing with it like a cat does with a mouse. ;-)

Icehouse 09-05-2015 09:29 PM

I just upgraded the 'spare' to W10 and I declined 90% of the default settings. I had to hunt for the "hidden" scrollbar and made sure I did not accept any default settings :)

The only thing I let the setup do was to organize my photos (all 2 of them) and then I let it do its thing.

I attempted to turn "Cortana" on but it requires ALL the settings I declined to be turned ON....bummer.

So far its OK, but nothing to scream hallelujah about :p

mrsD 09-06-2015 07:11 AM

We also answered no to all but one default... the last one about sending messages about crashes.

I also denied the 4 operating ones... no one is messing with my photos anymore. Getting used to the Win 7 format was bad enough for me. sigh.

Win 10 so far (knock on wood) is okay. I only had to reinstall one program, my graphics. Good thing I still have the CD:rolleyes:

My scrollbar seems to work better. And I didn't have any problems with screensaver or startup page graphics like hubby did on his laptop. This computer is just over a year old, and may be configured differently. All of our machines are Dells. Hubby did lose his task bar... on the laptops, but I did not on this desktop.

I can certainly live without Cortana...;)

Hockey 09-07-2015 07:23 AM

Of course, the problem with all these programmes is that the provider can change the terms of service at anytime. :mad:

Sure, I can answer "NO" to all the default settings during installation, but Microsoft will be trying to sneak changes past me - frequently and forever.

The buyer must beware, but the user must also be eternally vigilant. What a pain!

mrsD 09-07-2015 09:58 AM

I did notice in my music files... those changed.

Win10 added m4a files to all my previous CD uploads (wma).

So I have an Icon for each album that shows a music note in blue and m4a in the lower right corner.

I don't know what this is, and it is clogging up everything.
We think it might be copied from my iTunes program... I think our son copied my music to iTunes on this computer so I could sync it into my phone. But he does not really remember doing it. I know WE didn't do it. And he was the one to set it up... which in the end wouldn't work...because my phone was set up on an old laptop and Apple only allows one hook up. You have to wipe the phone to change to another computer, so in effect I don't ever use the iTunes program on this desktop. :o:mad:

Does anyone know how to make the gray title for Firefox (file-edit-view-history etc) larger? Hubby is afraid to touch it as his disappeared one day and it took him forever to get it back!:o

We went into the menu but didn't see how to do it. sigh.

Jomar 09-07-2015 11:10 AM

I found a FF toolbar/menu extension , I'm trying it out now. Seems to work well. The Icon is an A w/a small palette was placed in my URL bar area.
you just click it and a pop up appears, where adjustments can be made easily.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...-size-changer/

mrsD 09-07-2015 11:51 AM

Well, we went into the tile menu and brought up the complex settings page. Gotta be careful with it or you lose the toolbar completely.

We clicked on the second from the left at the bottom... titles etc and a white bar appeared above everything.

The gray bar I am trying to fix is not a Mozilla bar like the link you put up Jo. It is a Win10 bar. My tabs are big and colorful enough. But now I have a FF icon and NeuroTalk Support Groups and qualifiers in a long white new bar with "Mozilla Firefox at the end.

So I have from top down...
the thin white bar (new)

the gray bar that is hard to read --File, Edit, View, History etc
The colorful tabs
The address main bar for FF
and a gray favorites bar

It is the bolded one I want to be able to read more easily... either a larger font or black on white instead of the icky gray.

I get a nagging feeling this File/Edit bar is part of Win 10? It does not show on any of the Mozilla illustrations from your link, Jo.

Jomar 09-07-2015 12:00 PM

hmm... here is a screenshot of how mine looks , do you have an extra bar across the top? or can you take a screen shot of yours?

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/pi...pictureid=8198

Jomar 09-07-2015 12:03 PM

or here is a bunch of screenshot of FF on Win 10- does yours look like any of them?
https://www.google.com/search?q=scre...w=1360&bih=625

looking at them , they all aren't from Win 10 or even current FF ....so some will be new and some are older version..

Jomar 09-07-2015 02:05 PM

Win 10 has the new Microsoft browser doesn't it? Edge?
Have you tried it to compare with FF and to see how it looks?

mrsD 09-07-2015 02:30 PM

I was going to do a screenshot of mine..

But the first one on this link has the little gray commands on it
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/1...dows-10-a.html

My tabs are bigger and brighter.

Let me try a screen shot... of mine. I'll be back...

Ok...here it is.... it is the gray short bar between the top white one and the colored tabs.

mrsD 09-07-2015 02:44 PM

BTW Hubby just found this on another blog...

It may be helpful here, and/or for others...

Win10 Fixes...

https://fix10.isleaked.com/

Jomar 09-07-2015 04:14 PM

The top white bar is part of Windows - changing theme /appearance will change that part.
The toolbar/menu bar (gray one) is part of FF, but some of the overall appearance is still handled by the Win OS. So I would try some themes and see if it shows nicer for you..

And it could be something with Linux/windows variations.. how they display...

In Linux I can change themes/colors and it can make toolbars & the whole window environment appear very different.

Maybe someone else with Win 10 & FF will chime in..if theirs looks same as yours or not.

kiwi33 09-08-2015 04:04 AM

mrsD, thanks for your Win10 Fixes link above.

I have printed it out and will definitely use it when/if I migrate from Win7 to Win10.

mrsD 09-08-2015 08:16 AM

sigh.... well, I will have to live with it for now. I have my limits when doing stuff on computers.:rolleyes:

I think I'll get my son over here and see what he says. He has been uploading the computers at work for Win10 and is thinking of doing his roommate's, but hasn't done that one yet. Soon he should have a handle on some of this stuff. He has an Apple himself.

I also have a scroll bar now on this program at the bottom of the page. I don't recall seeing this before. It disappears if I ctr+scroll wheel to the smallest size--which is so teensy no one could read it.

Kiwi... the actual download is pretty easy, but does take some time. The speed of your processor determines the install time. ave 1-2 hrs.
But learning to live with it and/or modify it to suit your needs appears to be the frustrating part of it all, at least for us. I did not lose anything. But hubby lost his start up graphic on his laptop. He fiddled with settings too soon before he understood things, and lost his tool bar.
And I have my "mystery" music icons on my media player. For some reason my graphics program had to be uninstalled and reinstalled. But my 2 Angry Birds programs remained active for me. Overall the computer seems to run better, subtle improvements in resolution of images, and the music is clearer. The vertical scroll bar doesn't flip/stutter anymore and seems very smooth.

mrsD 09-08-2015 12:04 PM

new screen print

Hubby experimented on his old laptop on how to do this menu bar customizing. We now have the A with the artist palette, that you, Jo suggested.

Here is a screenprint with yellow as a background:

I'll run it this way for a while, and maybe change it later...but NOW I can read that tool bar better.;)

Thanks, Jo... it just took a bit of courage.

onebeed 09-10-2015 10:23 AM

Not happy

I updated to the Windows 10 yesterday and just spent over an hour uninstalling and reinstalling my printer so my scanner would work.

mrsD 09-10-2015 10:36 AM

We haven't tried the printer or scanner yet. :confused::o

Thanks for the reminder.

Jomar 09-10-2015 10:45 AM

Another thing I love about Linux , not having to install drivers for printer, wifi card...like I had to with XP.

mrsD 09-10-2015 10:53 AM

Today's adventure was personalizing my start up screen...
where the icon is above the password field.

I managed that one...whew

I guess there was an update last night.

mrsD 09-10-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebeed (Post 1170046)
I updated to the Windows 10 yesterday and just spent over an hour uninstalling and reinstalling my printer so my scanner would work.

Our printer works. and my Epson slide scanner works.
But I haven't tried the scanner in our printer HP combo.

Are you saying that the printer you have is a combo type, and the scanner part doesn't work on Win 10?

onebeed 09-10-2015 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1170150)
Our printer works. and my Epson slide scanner works.
But I haven't tried the scanner in our printer HP combo.

Are you saying that the printer you have is a combo type, and the scanner part doesn't work on Win 10?

Yes, I have a Brother printer/scanner/fax. The printer worked fine, but I went to do a quick scan and it didn't do anything. I did a troubleshooting google and found out that I had to uninstall and then reinstall the Windows 8.1 driver for it after installing Windows 10 in order for it to work. Brother doesn't have a driver specifically for Windows 10 yet. It was really annoying. I had hoped to just do a quick scan to a merchant I was doing business with. There are a few other bugs I have noticed too. I am not a person who does well with change, even when the "new" thing is "supposed" to be better.

onebeed 09-11-2015 08:03 AM

Microsoft Edge

I am also trying out the Microsoft Edge browser. Took me awhile to figure out where all my favorites went.

mrsD 09-11-2015 11:34 AM

Not sure what is going on with the scanner of our HP printer combo. At first it wouldn't scan into my graphics ...
So we went thru the software of HP which is on this computer. It was recently updated.

It scanned there but I didn't finish. So I went back to the graphics program and it scanned thru it okay... so I still had the HP open... I wonder if that made it work?

We happened to have an appropriate photo to test... a cat who shreds printer output. LOL

onebeed 09-11-2015 03:49 PM

Ended up going back to Win 8.1

Too many of my Apps didn't work with Win 10. When my password manager wouldn't work, that was the final straw and I switched back.

mrsD 09-12-2015 11:56 AM

Well, I can understand that , going back to Win 8.1.

I received a MS download Tues night, and since then I cannot play the FB Angry Friends Birds. We reinstalled the latest Flash but it still won't work. (on FireFox).:mad:

Doesn't work on Edge either. Nothing on the net about it.

Icehouse 09-12-2015 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1170567)
and since then I cannot play the FB Angry Friends Birds. :mad:

You know, there is a 12 step program for that :D:p;)

mrsD 09-12-2015 02:00 PM

LOL.... you may be on to something, Icehouse.

I think God is telling me enough Angry Birds Friends... but each week I get sucked into the new 6 games and the ratings.
These games are more complex than the apps are. So I like to play them 20 minutes or so inbetween my visits here and my other activities.

Last week there was interruption, but it only lasted a few hours.

I do seem to recall that FB was going to dump Flash since it was hacked. Maybe this is part of that reorganization? sigh.