NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Dentistry & Dental Issues (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/)
-   -   Still swelling 3 weeks after molar extraction (https://www.neurotalk.org/dentistry-and-dental-issues/226738-swelling-3-weeks-molar-extraction.html)

Kler 09-30-2015 03:08 AM

Still swelling 3 weeks after molar extraction

Hello,

One of my down molars has been extracted 3 weeks ago. The procedure took at about half an hour and I took antibiotics after that.
Now I still have a little pain on that side, the pain is going to my ear also. But it's not so big to take pills for it.
I have a little swelling on that side /may not visible to others, but I feel it/. It came bigger during the night, during the day it goes down, but it's still there.
I went to consult 2 dentist in these 3 weeks and made a x-ray to see if something was left. Both said that the healing is going well, but slowly and that there is no left tooth or roots after the extraction. The first one put me some medicine in the hole - something with кamfor I think. The second one made washing of the hole 'to heal faster'.
It seems that the pain is going away, but the swelling no. I'm wondering what to do - to wait or to look for 3rd opinion? Can everything be OK if I have these symptoms?

Bryanna 10-01-2015 03:37 PM

Hi Kler,

The swelling can be muscular related. If it is, then it will eventually subside as long as there is no infection or injury to the jaw.

It is best to avoid chewing a lot so as to give the jaw muscles a rest. Eat soft foods for about a week and see if that helps.

Also, if you are grinding or clenching your teeth when you sleep, that could also cause inflammation in the jaw muscles which would be more swollen upon awakening than any other time of the day. If this is a possibility, then it is best to have your dentist check your bite and your teeth for abnormal wear which would indicate a grinding or clenching habit. He can adjust your bite or make you a night guard to help relieve the problem it can cause with your jaw muscles.

Bryanna

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kler (Post 1174503)
Hello,

One of my down molars has been extracted 3 weeks ago. The procedure took at about half an hour and I took antibiotics after that.
Now I still have a little pain on that side, the pain is going to my ear also. But it's not so big to take pills for it.
I have a little swelling on that side /may not visible to others, but I feel it/. It came bigger during the night, during the day it goes down, but it's still there.
I went to consult 2 dentist in these 3 weeks and made a x-ray to see if something was left. Both said that the healing is going well, but slowly and that there is no left tooth or roots after the extraction. The first one put me some medicine in the hole - something with кamfor I think. The second one made washing of the hole 'to heal faster'.
It seems that the pain is going away, but the swelling no. I'm wondering what to do - to wait or to look for 3rd opinion? Can everything be OK if I have these symptoms?