NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Pets & Wildlife (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/)
-   -   My Iguana (https://www.neurotalk.org/pets-and-wildlife/227143-iguana.html)

Wiix 10-08-2015 06:42 PM

My Iguana

I haven't named her yet. Could be a male. :winky: But after breaking her tail off the first week I had her, she's doing just fine. They often do that, no need to get upset, it'll grow back. She was just so scared that she ran around the tank in a panic, but she has calmed down now. I hold her, talk to her and put her in different tanks so she doesn't get bored. I even let her into the bathtub a few minutes each day so she can swim and get some exercise. Warm of course.

Eventually she will know her name when I say it and will miss me if I go out.

Kanna 10-08-2015 11:48 PM

My roommate in college had a gecko and his name was Slick....it was a good name because it wasn't gender specific. You could go with VII for Very Important Iguana. Just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head. Enjoy your new pet!

PurpleFoot721 10-09-2015 10:39 AM

Hi Wiix,

I agree with Kanna. Try using a gender non specific name. Try something descriptive like Chef, it seems to like the kitchen from another post I read. I had one some time ago. My nieces named her Sally. It was lucky she turned out to be a girl. When I got engaged to my now husband, he wouldn't let me keep her so she had to find a new home.

It sounds as if she is still a juvenile so it will be difficult to determine it's gender, but the one way I remember how to tell is, on the underside of its rear legs is a line of pores. Females will have smaller ones than males. Once they are about 8 months to a year old, males will secrete a waxy substance from these pores. Males will also usually start displaying a bright orange color in the fall once they are mature enough to bread.

I hope you know what you are getting into. Iguanas need a large space to live in and love to climb anything they can get their claws on. Sally was given her own room that I turned into a small jungle for her. Because she was female, she also needed a large egg laying box when she started laying eggs.

I would recommend reading Melisa Kaplan's website.
. She is known worldwide for her studies on iguanas. If you can, I also recommend the book Green Iguana: The Ultimate Owner's Manual by James W. Hatfield III. It has a wealth of information. More than most people want to know, but well worth the money.

Enjoy your new little friend and the experiences you will have raising it.
:hug:
Alaina

Wiix 10-09-2015 12:05 PM

Thanks PurpleFoot but I have had over 30 over the years. I had The Green Iguana book and read it. I don't think I have it anymore. I gave it away.

She is not a green Iguana, she is A Blue. Beautiful, turquoise colour. I don't know what sex she is, she's too young. But that'll come in time.

There are disadvantage sto both male and female. With a female you risk her getting egg bound and losing her. With a male you get chased all over the place when they are in heat. That's why I'm hoping it's a girl, she looks like a girl. :D

PurpleFoot721 10-09-2015 12:32 PM

No offense to your knowledge of iguanas, I too have done extensive research on iguanas over the past 30 years. How is it that you came across a blue iguana? It is my understanding that they are one of the worlds most endangered species!

Wiix 10-09-2015 01:46 PM

Think the Grand Caymens. :winky:

PurpleFoot721 10-09-2015 02:19 PM

Then I take it you are part of one of the research teams there?

Wiix 10-09-2015 05:22 PM

Could be. :winky:

Wiix 10-18-2015 12:33 AM

Well, I've lived with her now for about a month and think I've settled on a name. It's Bella. :winky:

PurpleFoot721 10-18-2015 02:49 PM

What a great name. Could go either way for gender so you have nothing to worry about there. Plus it is a pretty name.
:winky: