NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Cuminaldehyde reduces alpha-synuclein fibrillation (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/227155-cuminaldehyde-reduces-alpha-synuclein-fibrillation.html)

johnt 10-09-2015 02:32 AM

Cuminaldehyde reduces alpha-synuclein fibrillation

I think it is fair to say that alpha-synclein misfolding and subsequent clumping forms an essential role in the pathogenesis of PD. With this in mind, it seems reasonable to target anything that slows this process.

According to Wikipedia [1]:

"Cuminaldehyde is a constituent of the essential oils of eucalyptus, myrrh, cassia, cumin and others ... It has been shown that cuminaldehyde, as a small molecule, inhibits the fibrillation of alpha-synuclein, ... which, if aggregated, forms insoluble fibrils in pathological conditions characterized by Lewy bodies, such as Parkinson's disease ..."

Recently published work by Morshedi et al. [2] reinforces this. They write:

"In comparison with baicalein, a well-known inhibitor of α-SN fibrillation, cuminaldehyde showed the same activity in some aspects and a different activity on other parameters influencing α-SN fibrillation. The presence of spermidine, an α-SN fibrillation inducer, dominantly enforced the inhibitory effects of cuminaldehyde even more intensively than baicalein. Furthermore, the results from experiments using preformed fibrils and monobromobimane-labeled monomeric protein also suggest that cuminaldehyde prevents α-SN fibrillation even in the presence of seeds, having no disaggregating impact on the preformed fibrils."

Has anyone in this forum got experience of these botanicals?

References

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuminaldehyde

[2] J Food Sci. 2015 Oct;80(10):H2336-45. doi: 10.1111/1750-3841.13016. Epub 2015 Sep 9. "Cuminaldehyde as the Major Component of Cuminum cyminum, a Natural Aldehyde with Inhibitory Effect on Alpha-Synuclein Fibrillation and Cytotoxicity."
Morshedi D1, Aliakbari F1, Tayaranian-Marvian A1, Fassihi A2, Pan-Montojo F3,4, Pérez-Sánchez H2.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26351865 (Abstract only)

John

badboy99 10-09-2015 02:17 PM

John this is very interesting.

Blackfeather 10-11-2015 04:28 PM

I have purchased some organic cumin seed powder and have begun taking it mixed in water. Probably won't notice any positive effects for a while. Nothing to lose by trying it. Will report back later on efficasy.

Tupelo3 10-12-2015 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackfeather (Post 1176954)
I have purchased some organic cumin seed powder and have begun taking it mixed in water. Probably won't notice any positive effects for a while. Nothing to lose by trying it. Will report back later on efficasy.

I've been taking Life Extension's Black Cumin Seed Oil with Bio-Curcumin. I have no idea if this is helping, but thought it couldn't hurt.

johnt 10-12-2015 12:21 PM

WARNING - before acting read the Matt Gooding - Science blog, "Obscure journals and Wikipedia", 16th July, 2014:
http://mattgooding.com/?p=181

John

johnt 01-29-2017 10:41 AM

A recent paper by Sriranjini et al., based on a rotenone model of drosophila, reports [1]:

"rotenone-mediated neurotoxicity may be largely related to the combined antioxidant activity of bio-actives resulting in improved locomotor performance, abrogation of oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction. Based on these results, we propose that cumin and cinnamon extracts may be exploited as therapeutics against PD and other neurodegenerative diseases."

References:

[1] "Neuromodulatory Potential of Aqueous Extracts of Cumin, Cinnamon: Evidence from Rotenone Model in Drosophila: Implications to Parkinson’s Disease"
Sriranjini Venkat Rao, Greeshma M, Muralidhara, Padmanabhan S. Rajini
International Journey of Neurology Research,
December 2016
Neuromodulatory potential of aqueous extracts of Cumin, Cinnamon: evidence from rotenone model in Drosophila: Implications to Parkinson’s Disease | Rao | International Journal of Neurology Research

John

KNPV 07-25-2017 01:51 PM

I got so motivated having read a good deal about curcumin that I ordered a plant of it so I can harvest my own roots and grate them into foods.

johnt 07-25-2017 11:21 PM

KNPV,

I like the hands on approach.

It's confusing because the names are so similar, but, let's be clear, curcumin is different from cumin. As far as I know, curcumin contains no cuminaldehyde.

John

GerryW 07-26-2017 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnt (Post 1234920)
A recent paper by Sriranjini et al., based on a rotenone model of drosophila, reports [1]:

"rotenone-mediated neurotoxicity may be largely related to the combined antioxidant activity of bio-actives resulting in improved locomotor performance, abrogation of oxidative stress and mitochondrial dysfunction. Based on these results, we propose that cumin and cinnamon extracts may be exploited as therapeutics against PD and other neurodegenerative diseases."

References:

[1] "Neuromodulatory Potential of Aqueous Extracts of Cumin, Cinnamon: Evidence from Rotenone Model in Drosophila: Implications to Parkinson’s Disease"
Sriranjini Venkat Rao, Greeshma M, Muralidhara, Padmanabhan S. Rajini
International Journey of Neurology Research,
December 2016
Neuromodulatory potential of aqueous extracts of Cumin, Cinnamon: evidence from rotenone model in Drosophila: Implications to Parkinson’s Disease | Rao | International Journal of Neurology Research

John

I took bacailen as the plant source Scutellaria bacailensis a few years ago but nothing happened. I was getting it from Swanson but they discontinued it. No one else carries it.

KNPV 07-27-2017 12:08 PM

Thanks. I got some turmeric roots and peel a small piece of it and eat it once a day. It's the fresh root that has curcumin in it. I also ordered a potted plant of it so I can have fresh roots. While not tasting good, it's not too bad either.