NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   Really afraid that I got hit to the head today (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/227230-afraid-hit-head.html)

ProAgonist 10-11-2015 04:23 AM

Really afraid that I got hit to the head today

In the last few weeks, I've been managing my anxiety a lot better, but today something very different happened that makes me terrified.

I was at school and somebody told us that 3 hours of Biology class cancelled. One of my friends, who was very happy because of that, was next to me and tried to hug me. He hugs everyone pretty aggressively - he doesn't have bad intentions, he just hugs very strong and unexpectedly, which makes it uncomfortable.

So I resisted the hug, but he insisted and so I was pushed back against a wall by him while trying to make him stop - he tried to hug me and at the same time, I tried to push him away, and when it happened I was just pushed back into a wall (my back was against the wall).

Eventually I decided that I should just let him hug me, so I let him, and when I did this, he just threw his arm behind my neck and put it on my shoulders. He also said I was acting childish, but I didn't want to insult him so I didn't say anything.

I'm really afraid that during the hug and the pushing back against the wall, I got hit in my head and I just don't remember it. It all happened so quickly and I was in so much stress, and I'm afraid that because of the Adrenaline rush at the same moment, I might have gotten hit in the head and I just don't remember it.

I have a pretty bad brain fog right now. Until that incident, I felt fine, but shortly after I started feeling a bad brain fog.

So, can you please help me? It might sound weird, but I'm really not sure whether my head was hit or not. I'm afraid that between the pushing back, and the hug, there was something that hit my head (maybe when he pushed me back against the wall, I got hit in the back of my head from the wall?).

Please help me with this feeling of uncertainty. I just want to be sure that my head wasn't harmed.

Thanks,
-ProAgonist

Mark in Idaho 10-11-2015 09:48 AM

This sounds like an anxiety reaction. The hugging action would not have jarred your head enough to be a problem. Even backing into the wall slowly would not be a head hit of any significance. If you don't remember it, you did not experience it. It did not happen.

So, no head hit. Your anxiety can cause all your symptoms.

ProAgonist 10-11-2015 11:39 AM

Mark,

Thank you for the reply.

I got better at managing my anxiety in my last few weeks, but this event in particular was too much for me to handle, therefore I couldn't control the anxiety that appeared in that moment.

Thanks,
-ProAgonist

Jomar 10-11-2015 11:56 AM

Why not just tell friends no hugging or grabbing?
Life might be simpler if you explain to them.

Anja 70 10-13-2015 05:27 AM

Jo*mar
even explaining doesn't help.
Had that situation on saturday. I had a befriended couple over to visit me in my new house.
They both know about my PCS and my hugging anxiety. She came over with a plant and I told her again, that I hope she does not expect a hug.

She started laughing and said that she does. I explained again why I don't want hugs and that my anxiety sets in just thinking about it. She was offended and said that with telling people all my friends would not want to be friends anymore.

I told her to feel free to leave my house.....