NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Question (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/227511-question.html)

_dreamer_ 10-18-2015 10:37 AM

Question

Does anyone know what neuropathic
spondyloarthropathy Of the cervical and lumbar spine means ? they just added it in as another diagnosis. I think it might just mean herniated disk, but I'm not sure and I can't find much information about it online.

Ragtop262 10-18-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dreamer_ (Post 1178230)
Does anyone know what neuropathic
spondyloarthropathy Of the cervical and lumbar spine means ? they just added it in as another diagnosis. I think it might just mean herniated disk, but I'm not sure and I can't find much information about it online.

Edited:
Seems like quite a bit out there on spondyloarthropathy. One high level summary;

http://www.webmd.com/arthritis/tc/sp...topic-overview

Not much that mentions "Neuropathic" form, but most likely it just means that in your case you are having neuropathic symptoms related to your spondyloarthropathy, due to impingement or inflamation on or around the nerves. Certainly something to ask your doctor for clarification on.

_dreamer_ 10-18-2015 11:24 AM

Thanks. Trying to figure out how the doc diagnosed me with this since he left the practice. I use their online service so got a notification that this diagnosis was added. Wondering if another doctor at the practice actually looked at my ct scan films or what. Strange. Thanks again. In reading about it, I still don't really understand what it is.

pinkynose 10-18-2015 11:58 AM

Neuropathic Spondyloarthropathy

Quote:

Originally Posted by _dreamer_ (Post 1178238)
Thanks. Trying to figure out how the doc diagnosed me with this since he left the practice. I use their online service so got a notification that this diagnosis was added. Wondering if another doctor at the practice actually looked at my ct scan films or what. Strange. Thanks again. In reading about it, I still don't really understand what it is.

Dreamer, I often have the same problem trying to understand medical jargon. Something that helps me is taking the word apart and finding out the meaning of the different parts.

"Spondylo" prefix meaning "vertebra or the spinal column"

For the next part I found the following information on Web MD
http://answers.webmd.com/answers/119...is-arthropathy

"Arthropathy" means “joint problem.” Doctors often use arthropathy interchangeably with arthritis, which means "joint inflammation."

According to the article there are some forms of arthropathy that are distinct from arthritis:

"Neuropathic arthropathy: Nerve damage from diabetes or another nerve condition results in slow damage to joints. In diabetic people, arthropathy usually affects the foot and ankle. (Arthritis may also be present.)"

So if you put them together it would probably mean "Neuropathic Sponyloarthropathy" referring to nerve damage from a nerve condition resulting in slow damage to a joint (possibly hip?)

Does this make sense based on your test?

_dreamer_ 10-18-2015 12:30 PM

Hmmm not sure if it makes sense. I had a cervical and lumbar CT scan. It showed a herniated disk on my lumbar and my cervical spine. THe one on my lumbar was small but pressing on a nerve root. I have to get a new neuro either way. I was just wondering if the person who wrote this diagnosis looked at the films and saw something else, or if s/he just read the report. Ugh...Thanks so much, pinkynose!

OmaChar 02-19-2016 05:38 AM

Spondyloarthropathy

:):):)Hi Dreamer - I just joined, mainly to see how other folks are managing their Ankylosing Spondylitis. I haven't found anyone with it yet but your diagnosis is very similar. I'm also a semi-retired RN [nurse] so I do a lot of research online and elsewhere about this disorder.
Spondyloarthropathy is the broader category name for what is essentially a type of arthritis that affects mostly the spine. Because it can affect the vertebra in different ways, neuropathy can result, especially if inflammation causes nerves to be pinched. Pain can be at quite a distance from the spine [such as in the feet or hands] but be caused by trauma to spinal nerves.
It is an autoimmune condition and can exist by itself or with other autoimmune disorders.
The Spondylitis Association of America is an excellent resource *admin edit* if you look up the organization, you should find them ....... I hope this helps! OmaChar

Neuroproblem 02-20-2016 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmaChar (Post 1200177)
:):):)Hi Dreamer - I just joined, mainly to see how other folks are managing their Ankylosing Spondylitis. I haven't found anyone with it yet but your diagnosis is very similar. I'm also a semi-retired RN [nurse] so I do a lot of research online and elsewhere about this disorder.
Spondyloarthropathy is the broader category name for what is essentially a type of arthritis that affects mostly the spine. Because it can affect the vertebra in different ways, neuropathy can result, especially if inflammation causes nerves to be pinched. Pain can be at quite a distance from the spine [such as in the feet or hands] but be caused by trauma to spinal nerves.
It is an autoimmune condition and can exist by itself or with other autoimmune disorders.
The Spondylitis Association of America is an excellent resource *admin edit* if you look up the organization, you should find them ....... I hope this helps! OmaChar

there is a ankylosis spondylitis forum out there, maybe they have better insight into your condition, i joined one of those forums, because in late december i developed what appeared to be lower back pain, near the sacral joint, it was stiff, and it lasted for several weeks, but with diminishing symptoms. Strange. at the same time my neck also became painful. but i suspect mines could be spinal joint/disk bulging problem., which would mimic AS.
thats actually the forum i went to.

_dreamer_ 02-21-2016 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OmaChar (Post 1200177)

Thank you! That's interesting. I'm waiting right now to get another MRI and to have my new doctor take a look at my films. Thanks again!