NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Medications & Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/)
-   -   Anti-depressants & Weightloss... (https://www.neurotalk.org/medications-and-treatments/22779-anti-depressants-weightloss.html)

colombiangirl1 06-28-2007 08:03 PM

Anti-depressants & Weightloss...

Has anyone had any experience with, or heard of, any antidepressants whose COMMON side-effect, is weightloss? I'm thinking, that, I need to add an antidepressant, and, the other medication I take, causes weight gain. If, I'm not gaining, I'm not losing either. I've had such an awful time with the weight gain side-effect of the meds I have been since, I was first diagnosed. I keep going up and down on the scale. I'm now looking for an antidepressant, that will likely, cause me to lose weight. I have alot to lose right now. I'm eating healthy, and, exercising about 2 hours a day. Not to mention, that, I have a very physical job, on top of all this. But, weightloss for me is very difficult. It is definitely hindered, by the Risperdal, I take. I've heard Topamax, is one, also, Lexapro. Anyone know of any others? Any input, would be greatly appreciated. I go back to see my pdoc soon. I'd like to know what to ask for. Thanks, everyone!!

Peace, and, Love,
Cgirl

mrsD 06-29-2007 06:34 AM

Some

people find that Wellbutrin works. It is different from SSRI types, which give mixed results. More people gain than lose on SSRIs like Prozac/Zoloft/Lexapro.

Emsam (segeliline patch) is rather neutral for both loss/gain:
http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/emsam_ad.htm

A light visor has no weight gain either. I've lost weight since I started my visor in Feb. It reduced carb cravings significantly for me.

daniella 06-30-2007 07:00 AM

Well I think when I was on either zoloft or remeron they added the opposite because I needed to gain weight and one was known for weight loss and the other gain so it balanced. Maybe you could discuss this with your doc if that is your only issue with the current.

mrsD 06-30-2007 07:16 AM

Remeron

is notorious for weight gain. In fact it is used for that purpose, as Daniella stated.

The only one that has had some weight loss data is Wellbutrin. But even then
it is only marginal.

This dopamine affecting drug probably is working to block the pleasure effects from food (which is dopamine driven). That is why it also works for smoking cessation.

anasazi23 07-03-2007 11:01 AM

wellbutrin

Wellbutrin actually increases dopamine, so it is not blocking the pleasure response from food or other things. It is chemically a cousin of the amphetamines and has some stimulant effects that are likely the cause of decreased appetite and weight loss.

mrsD 07-03-2007 01:09 PM

Wellbutrin is a very complex drug....

My comments are about ADDICTION, which food can be. Wellbutrin blocks the pleasure derived from smoking also, and is used for that.

Here is an example of how that works:
Quote:

Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 Jul 12;567(1-2):102-9. Epub 2007 Apr 6.Click here to read Links
Comparison of the effects of bupropion on nicotinic receptor-evoked [(3)H]dopamine release from rat striatal synaptosomes and slices.
Sidhpura N, Redfern P, Wonnacott S.

Department of Biology and Biochemistry, University of Bath, Bath BA2 7AY, UK.

Tobacco smoking is a nicotine addiction, mediated in part by the ability of nicotine to elicit dopamine release, as a result of the stimulation of nicotinic acetylcholine receptors associated with dopaminergic pathways. The smoking cessation agent bupropion is an inhibitor of the dopamine transporter, but has also been shown to inhibit nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. To assess the relative impact of its actions at these two targets, we have examined the effects of bupropion on nicotine-evoked [(3)H]dopamine release from rat striatal synaptosomes and slices, in the absence of any other transporter inhibitor. Bupropion (10 microM) significantly decreased nicotine-evoked [(3)H]dopamine release by approximately 50% in both preparations, consistent with the blockade of nicotinic receptors. In support of this interpretation, bupropion also selectively inhibited nicotine-evoked Ca(2+) increases in SH-SY5Y cells. In striatal slices (but not in synaptosomes) the concentration-response profile for bupropion has an inverted 'u' shape, with a decrease in nicotine-evoked [(3)H]dopamine release also observed in the presence of 0.1 microM bupropion. This effect of 0.1 microM bupropion (but not 10 microM bupropion) was reversed by the dopamine D(2) receptor antagonist raclopride. We propose that modest blockade of the dopamine transporter by low concentrations of bupropion results in feedback inhibition via dopamine D(2) autoreceptors. This is overcome at higher concentrations of bupropion, before inhibition of nicotinic receptors occurs. Therefore bupropion's inhibition of the dopamine transporter and nicotinic receptors appears to be separated with respect to concentration.

PMID: 17477919 [PubMed - in process]
The whole understanding of neurotransmitter effects is rather beyond this board however.
Here is an example:
http://www.preskorn.com/columns/0001.html

Wellbutrin was delayed in coming to market, because it was not understood well. It has mild dopamine and norepi reuptake effects, but that is not all it does. There are many actions of dopamine and the dopamine transporter.
Wellbutrin will in the body, enhance dopamine effects on the heart as well, and some patients get palpitations from it.

But in my opinion Wellbutrin blocks food pleasure reinforcement and that is distinct from some of its other actions.

mrsD 07-05-2007 09:45 AM

more....

I am working on another bit of research today on the net, and found this by
accident. And since it is helpful to this thread, I thought I'd post the link:

http://www.utexas.edu/research/asrec/dopamine.html