NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   strange sensation (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/228370-strange-sensation.html)

patsybern 11-06-2015 07:05 PM

strange sensation

Hi this is just an inquiry. I had neuropathic pain about three years ago.The pain went but it left me with a most irritating problem. on the top of my foot, where the ankle and foot join, I keep getting the most awful shooting pain. its like someone cutting in to my flesh with a sharp knife. It doesn't last long but when it comes is so sudden and so sharp. I tried taking extra pregabalin, but it doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas why this has suddenly started to happen. I've continued to have pins and needles in my foot beside this sharp pain.I would be most happy if someone could tell me
Thank you very much
Patsybern:(

Jomar 11-06-2015 07:33 PM

Welcome,
I moved your post here to our PN forum, they might have best replies for you.

dogwalker 11-07-2015 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patsybern (Post 1182079)
Hi this is just an inquiry. I had neuropathic pain about three years ago.The pain went but it left me with a most irritating problem. on the top of my foot, where the ankle and foot join, I keep getting the most awful shooting pain. its like someone cutting in to my flesh with a sharp knife. It doesn't last long but when it comes is so sudden and so sharp. I tried taking extra pregabalin, but it doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas why this has suddenly started to happen. I've continued to have pins and needles in my foot beside this sharp pain.I would be most happy if someone could tell me
Thank you very much

I don't know what causes it, but I also have stabbing leg pains, for almost 2 years, along with burning and other abnormal sensations for years before that. The leg pains started very suddenly, waking me up with a feeling like my thigh had been slammed with a sledge hammer. The pains progressed to sharp stabbing all over both legs, mainly in bed at night. EMG shows chronic nerve damage and reinnervation; and my enzymes indicating muscle damage are elevated. The underlying cause is presumed to be autoimmune, since I have high levels of lupus antibodies. Skin biopsy and MRIs of spine, pelvis, and thigh have been negative. Next up is a muscle biopsy. Sorry I don't have an answer, but I hope it's some comfort knowing that you're not the only one with a strange symptom.

Neuroproblem 11-07-2015 04:26 AM

Quote:

Thank you very much

is it just one leg.

mrsD 11-07-2015 09:40 AM

I get that same pain....in my left foot. This foot had a very invasive surgery 50yrs ago or so, to remove a tumor. That foot has not been the same since.

When I flex that foot now, going up stairs or whatever else similar I can get a huge pain in the ankle like you describe.
I have a reactive instep now, and have to wear open shoes, or athletic shoes loosely tied, with a very cushioned tongue flap.

My foot doctor took Xrays of it and showed me several spurs
on it. I do have long standing neuropathy and also arthritis.

I think you should go to a good podiatrist and get an expert opinion with Xrays. Don't jump into a surgical suggestion, though, as I think any damage to the foot, becomes lifelong for many people.

There are topical products that may work when you have a flare.
A good one to try is the new Aspercreme/Lidocaine. This can help reduce pain, applied topically.

http://www.aspercreme.com/pain-relie...lidocaine.html

Patrick Winter 11-07-2015 05:46 PM

Quote:

Thank you very much

Like MRsD said above. I was thinking spurs as well. Get an Xray.