NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Traumatic Brain Injury and Post Concussion Syndrome (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/)
-   -   off the rails... (https://www.neurotalk.org/traumatic-brain-injury-and-post-concussion-syndrome/228736-rails.html)

Almost 11-15-2015 01:00 AM

off the rails...

So I think I am well prepared to attend a larger family function and....well I guess the thread title tells it all.

Less than 10 minutes in, if I am honest I was barely in the front door and it began, first my balance is off and then speech issues, stutters and word finding and I have what I call cotton head. I was struggling to look even a little bit relaxed. Less than 20 minutes and I am completely overwhelmed...

Fortunately, I was able to leave unnoticed. Well likely not unnoticed but without fanfare. I wonder if I ever will be able to go out and be able to keep it together. Does it ever get easier?

I barely leave my home unless it is for therapies and appointments, stores are ridiculous, social settings are totally overwhelming to me.

My life feels like a bad Jaws movie 'just when you thought it was safe to go into the water' it isn't!

Mark in Idaho 11-15-2015 01:37 AM

Have you tried attending these functions with ear plugs ?

or, being selective about where you position yourself ?

I usually have to find a place where I am not surrounded by voices. I also need to be where there is not a lot of visual stimulation.

btw, I'm 15 years since my last concussion. For some of us, we just need to learn how to moderate these events.

Bud 11-15-2015 01:37 AM

Almost,

Last year at thanksgiving in my own home I was overwhelmed and had to,spend time in my bedroom alone and quiet to calm down.

This year will be no problem.

Do I still have obstacles to overcome, yes, but I am in no way the same train wreck as last year or even 3 months ago.

Hang in there, it does get better.

Bud

lilyNYC 11-15-2015 02:17 AM

i'm not one for medication, i hate the fact that i'm taking one, but perhaps an anti anxiety would help while the symptoms resolve? i've seen a huge improvement and can actually go out and see friends versus being unable to go to the grocery store alone a few months ago.

Estreetfan 11-15-2015 10:33 AM

It will get easier...When I first started venturing out 20 min was my limit too before the balance problems and overwhelming visual and auditory stimulation started. (earplugs are a must) I started with leaving an event early then progressed to leaving for a short break and coming back to it and now I can manage a couple hours - for me, this has taken 2 years to accomplish - so think baby steps...

I still get balance problems early on but I have learned that in my case they don't progress and I just have to be careful not to turn too quickly - haven't fallen over yet. Also, don't overdo the social chat as I still find that making conversation is a big energy drainer. Pick your moments and just enjoy the fact that you are out and about again!

seth8a 11-15-2015 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyNYC (Post 1183742)
i'm not one for medication, i hate the fact that i'm taking one, but perhaps an anti anxiety would help while the symptoms resolve? i've seen a huge improvement and can actually go out and see friends versus being unable to go to the grocery store alone a few months ago.

I agree. I found that about 90% of my difficulties when dealing with crowds and people were not actually PCS but anxiety related. I am also being treated for anxiety and depression and this has made all the difference in social settings. The symptoms become a lot more bearable when one is less anxious about them. It is a vicious circle in some ways, because, indeed, anxiety is one of the symptoms of a head injury. I would recommend seeing someone to have the anxiety treated, if possible. It has helped me hugely and I feel like I have my life back again!

Almost 11-15-2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seth8a (Post 1183770)
I agree. I found that about 90% of my difficulties when dealing with crowds and people were not actually PCS but anxiety related. I am also being treated for anxiety and depression and this has made all the difference in social settings. The symptoms become a lot more bearable when one is less anxious about them. It is a vicious circle in some ways, because, indeed, anxiety is one of the symptoms of a head injury. I would recommend seeing someone to have the anxiety treated, if possible. It has helped me hugely and I feel like I have my life back again!

I have taken anxiety meds for a year and a half and see a phsychologist every two weeks. We will have lots to talk about this week :)