NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arthritis (https://www.neurotalk.org/arthritis/)
-   -   Arthritis in the neck (https://www.neurotalk.org/arthritis/229568-arthritis-neck.html)

razzle51 12-06-2015 11:25 AM

Arthritis in the neck

from my cervical spine MRI dr says I have a lot of Arthritis.. does anyone else and what are you doing for it .. My pcp says normally do PT but do to my chiari I cant have that . thanks for responese

caroline2 12-06-2015 09:14 PM

Hi, I am challenged with bodywide OA including neck down to toes beginning at 18 and I'm 77. I make sure I move my neck alot. Do clockwise and counter clockwise moves and otherwise. Everything for me got worse after hip replacement in 2010 and advanced age.

Sleep on a temperpedic pillow for years and no neck issues after night's sleep.

I use a lot of supplements and topicals for all the OA I deal with and I've probably posted all of them here. I use topicals too, mix a lot of my own and have my favorites. Learned to use a designated toothbrush to brush on some of my topicals.

No fun, but things could always be worse.

razzle51 12-07-2015 06:37 AM

thanks Caroline ,, I am too 65 and this is all new ....I am seeing dr again tomorrow as I had a bad night ....I try to always turn my neck all the time my neck its self really doesn't hurt , its the tightness and crunchies and ears screaming that is annoying.... do you try celcbrex or Mobic anything like that... what kind of topicals and supplements. thanks ; oh I do take a muscle relaxers which helps some

caroline2 12-07-2015 01:33 PM

Mobic didn't do anything for me, I have some leftover tabs and crush some tabs in some of my topicals. I fear Celebrex, I ended up with an ulcer from anti inflammatory drug so I don't go there.

I take 4 ibuprofen daily, 2 at about 1:30PM and then 2 before I hit the pillow about 11PM...Make sure I take my DGL stomach protector daily. I've talked about DGL here a lot. In between the Ibuprofen I like Pain RX herbal as it gives me some relief.

My favorite topicals are Topricin, Ultra Tiger Balm, Comfrey Ointment, DMSO 90/10 dilution and add drops of wintergreen oil, tea tree oil and also make up a topical from aloe vera, drops of DMSO, wintergreen oil, crushed aspirin.....I've worked so long with advancing OA that I try to think of everything. I'm not a fan of pharma drugs. I don't take muscle relaxers, did one years ago, I think it was Soma, didn't like how I felt with it.

I use Inositol and Gaba as my relaxers. Once OA sets in it's all management.

Sometimes gentle chiro work can help and massage too. I did massage MOST of my life and now my body is so messed with chronic pain that I can't do deep work anymore..

Hope this helps. We need to get creative to help ourselves. C

EnglishDave 12-07-2015 05:53 PM

Caroline,

Celebrex is an NSAID, as is Ibuprofen.

Dave.

EnglishDave 12-07-2015 06:08 PM

Razzle51,

I have just had another Cervical MRI as I have severe neck pain, referred pain down my arm (right) and numbness in both forearms and hands/fingers. It showed a great deal of arthritis, 3 spinal cord compressions, severe narrowing at C5-C6, masses of osteophytes…

I have had to take Arcoxia for many years, despite heart problems. The pain and immobility without it is unbearable. I also used to use Voltarol and Capsaicin creams. The Voltarol became too much of an effort to apply and I was getting weird feelings in my head - I have TN and Neuropathic Facial Pain/Paresthesia. I hardly used the Capsaicin as it triggered excessive burning pain from my Hypersensitivity.

Dave.

razzle51 12-08-2015 01:11 PM

that's guys on the way to dr now , I will re[post when I get back ,

razzle51 12-09-2015 03:28 PM

well as I thought dr wants me to see my neurosurgeon ... might have to have a Anterior cervical dissectomy with fusion .... eeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkk:eek:

EnglishDave 12-09-2015 07:02 PM

:eek: indeed. I would not recommend my way of avoiding surgery, becoming Brady Hypotensive during simple surgical procedures:D. Anaesthetists will not touch me now, so I am stuck with the mess top and bottom of my spine.

In all seriousness, there are still non-surgical options, like injections, to explore. So don't get too stressed until you see your Neurosurgeon.

Dave.

razzle51 12-10-2015 08:13 AM

I am not DAVE .... if I HAVe to have the surgery I will put off for a while until things are really paining ... Until then I am ok with it. thanks everyone