NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Short circuit wires in thigh? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/229813-short-circuit-wires-thigh.html)

pinkynose 12-12-2015 11:12 AM

Short circuit wires in thigh?

This may sound strange, but for the past 3 days I have had a feeling like there are wires right above my knee that have short circuited. Thankfully there is no pain as it goes on for hours at a time. It happens when I am awake and when I try to sleep. I have tried Mortons and all of my creams. An anti inflammatory cream seemed to have worked for an hour or so but then it came back. I have had to resort to sleeping pills last night which worked but now it's back.

I realize it is funky stuff going on with my nerves and I wonder could it be them trying to make a new route or is this just more of the same? I wouldn't be so concerned except sleep is a big deal.

Anyone have this and all ideas for what I might try are welcomed.
Thank you
pinky

mrsD 12-12-2015 12:10 PM

Ice pack? Have you tried this?

It is possible that the signal is coming from your back. So if you put the lotions on the knee area, that won't work well. You need to target the lower back on that side. Ice pack, or magnesium lotion or both.

pinkynose 12-12-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsD (Post 1187995)
Ice pack? Have you tried this?

It is possible that the signal is coming from your back. So if you put the lotions on the knee area, that won't work well. You need to target the lower back on that side. Ice pack, or magnesium lotion or both.

Thank you! I had not thought of ice and definitely magnesium lotion on lower back (left side) makes sense as it is a much troubled area. I'll try it.:hug:

zkrp01 12-12-2015 12:27 PM

one idea

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkynose (Post 1187985)
This may sound strange, but for the past 3 days I have had a feeling like there are wires right above my knee that have short circuited. Thankfully there is no pain as it goes on for hours at a time. It happens when I am awake and when I try to sleep. I have tried Mortons and all of my creams. An anti inflammatory cream seemed to have worked for an hour or so but then it came back. I have had to resort to sleeping pills last night which worked but now it's back.

I realize it is funky stuff going on with my nerves and I wonder could it be them trying to make a new route or is this just more of the same? I wouldn't be so concerned except sleep is a big deal.

Anyone have this and all ideas for what I might try are welcomed.
Thank you
pinky

I had a rehabilitation trained massage therapist once that could chase pain all over my body. I'm thinking that maybe massage could change or move the sensation in a way to allow you good sleep. This could get expensive and it sounds like you have tried self-massage already. Perhaps something like Thi-Chi pilates ? I am fixing to search U-Tube floor pilates to do stretches to get my hips and knees stretched out better. I have had that shocking before but it usually jumped aroumd. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

pinkynose 12-13-2015 08:52 AM

Update

It stopped! I did use an anti inflammatory cream on my low back and I'm pretty sure that was the culprit (thank you Mrs. D.) I realize now what scared me was other than burning I had never had another symptom that had been constant. I was afraid it was going to be the new normal. I need to remember the slogan "This too shall pass" for the next time so I don't panic
Thanks.

DavidHC 12-13-2015 11:34 AM

Glad it stopped. I know, I tell myself that too each time something weird and new happens, but it's difficult in the moment. Though the longer one has the condition, the easier it becomes to calm oneself, at least in my case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkynose (Post 1188118)
It stopped! I did use an anti inflammatory cream on my low back and I'm pretty sure that was the culprit (thank you Mrs. D.) I realize now what scared me was other than burning I had never had another symptom that had been constant. I was afraid it was going to be the new normal. I need to remember the slogan "This too shall pass" for the next time so I don't panic
Thanks.