NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Topical Pain treatment for painful SFN (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/230251-topical-pain-treatment-painful-sfn.html)

Cliffman 12-23-2015 12:34 PM

Topical Pain treatment for painful SFN

Hi everyone,

Are there any Topical over the counter creams worth using for painful SFN or is it a waste to time/money to use over the counter products?

Thank you.

Happy Holidays!

Cliffman :)

mrsD 12-23-2015 12:37 PM

I use the Morton Epsom lotion, Biofreeze for severe burning attacks, and the new Aspercreme Lidocaine cream.

I use the Morton's most of all. The others only for flares.

I believe these allow me long term pain relief so I don't need oral RX medications. During pain flairs I use Tylenol or AlkaSeltzer now and then. For really bad nights I have Tramadol (just a small amount), that I break in half to 25mg...this lasts me into the next day. I have taken one of these this month so far.

groucho 12-23-2015 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffman (Post 1189827)
Hi everyone,

Are there any Topical over the counter creams worth using for painful SFN or is it a waste to time/money to use over the counter products?

Thank you.

Happy Holidays!

I don't know what kind of pain you are referring to, but I use NeuroCream (capsacain pepper cream). For me, it works very well on my forfoot pain, which feels like I'm standing on a knife blade directly behind my toes. I often refer to it as "folded sock pain", but it's much more uncomfortable than that. It can be had at Walmart for about $16.00 a tube & the brand website usually has a $3.00 coupon on it

hbielski1905 12-23-2015 02:09 PM

Thus far I'm really not finding anything to help me and my flare ups. For instance today I have left work because my body is having spasms due to the pain in my legs and arms. I have tried the Epson salt lotion and motrin but nothing is helping. I appreciate any assistance you all can provide!!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

pinkynose 12-23-2015 06:05 PM

In addition to the ones listed I also like Topricin. BioFreeze was too strong for me. I have mixed in a small amount with aloe or even the Topricin. I like Aspercreme with Lidocaine also. Mortons is probably my favorite of the over the counter variety. Truth be told these worked better than the compounded cream I had made up.

Recently I have been using Voltaren gel. It's an anti inflammatory and I use it on my low back because that's where I feel most of my problems come from. I also put a tiny amount on the tops of my feet and legs. It is a prescription medication and should not be taken indefinitely.

zkrp01 12-24-2015 06:18 PM

Sorry to hear it

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbielski1905 (Post 1189846)
Thus far I'm really not finding anything to help me and my flare ups. For instance today I have left work because my body is having spasms due to the pain in my legs and arms. I have tried the Epson salt lotion and motrin but nothing is helping. I appreciate any assistance you all can provide!!!

The Mortons lotion only helped me with surface burning and tenderness. Your spasms amd pain sound like you need to try to see a Neuro and start some Gaba or Lyrika and get diet in line with anti-inflammatory foods. If they are old fasjioned charley-horse type things then Magnesium Citrate and drinking lots of water may help. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

hbielski1905 12-24-2015 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkrp01 (Post 1190030)
The Mortons lotion only helped me with surface burning and tenderness. Your spasms amd pain sound like you need to try to see a Neuro and start some Gaba or Lyrika and get diet in line with anti-inflammatory foods. If they are old fasjioned charley-horse type things then Magnesium Citrate and drinking lots of water may help. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

I do see a neurologist, thanks. He is still attempting to figure out a combination of meds to help me. I bank you so much for your response and guidance you provide!!

[emoji12] [emoji12] [emoji12]

Patrick Winter 12-25-2015 11:01 AM

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you.

Happy Holidays!

I like Topricin and Aspercreme with Lidocaine 4%.

caroline2 12-25-2015 12:57 PM

I've been working with Oil of Oregano (like Now Foods brand) and liking my results more and more for pains and a dental issue. I add OOO to all of my topicals to give them an extra umph. I even use vaseline and add OOO drops and tea tree oil drops and some drops of DMSO. Vicks salve too. Getting ready to buy a new supply of Topricin, it worked great in the beginning over a year ago but in my case joints just worsening so it takes more to keep going.

DavidHC 12-26-2015 08:33 PM

Perhaps some Cannabis based topicals, if you can get your hands on some and try? This may offer some ideas: https://www.leafly.com/news/cannabis...nabis-topicals. I've never tried creams myself, but it would be what I'd go to first, if the pain gets to that point.

Quote:

Hi everyone,

Thank you.

Happy Holidays!