NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Creative Corner (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/)
-   -   Make more art: The health benefits of creativity (https://www.neurotalk.org/creative-corner/230269-art-health-benefits-creativity.html)

mrsD 12-23-2015 04:29 PM

Make more art: The health benefits of creativity

This link was on our Health News Headlines today:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-...usaolp00000592

ronnie33 02-03-2016 09:12 AM

Art helps

Art has truly healed me in ways meds could not...

mrsD 06-16-2016 02:11 PM

another article about art lowering stress levels:

Artmaking Can Ease Stress Regardless of Training | Psych Central News

This is an interesting and useful article, and worth a read.

I am reminded now, of the popularity of adult coloring books that is currently happening and those would certainly qualify too.;)

DejaVu 06-18-2016 04:15 PM

A Fun Way to Potentially Decrease Cortisol!

Thanks, mrsD! :D

Looks like an easy and a fun way to potentially lower cortisol.

I have never been very artsy. I admire the work of all kinds of artists. I just have never felt like much of an "artist" myself. Lol.

It's never too late to start, however. ;)

I have a large coloring book and pencils. I have only finished one picture in 6 months.

I have given several coloring books and many different types of pencils to a friend who is in a nursing home, recovering from a stroke over the past year. She is very artsy and is enjoying the coloring books and any/all arts/crafts supplies available. It's just amazing to see all she creates. I think she is more creative now than before her stroke.

I hope all is well with you, mrsD. :hug:
Thanks again!

With Love and Appreciation,
DejaVu

sallycinnamon 07-28-2016 10:29 PM

colouring books

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronnie33 (Post 1197137)
Art has truly healed me in ways meds could not...

great to see! have you used colouring books before?

sallycinnamon 07-28-2016 10:31 PM

colouring books

Quote:

Originally Posted by DejaVu (Post 1214603)
Thanks, mrsD! :D

Looks like an easy and a fun way to potentially lower cortisol.

I have never been very artsy. I admire the work of all kinds of artists. I just have never felt like much of an "artist" myself. Lol.

It's never too late to start, however. ;)

I have a large coloring book and pencils. I have only finished one picture in 6 months.

I have given several coloring books and many different types of pencils to a friend who is in a nursing home, recovering from a stroke over the past year. She is very artsy and is enjoying the coloring books and any/all arts/crafts supplies available. It's just amazing to see all she creates. I think she is more creative now than before her stroke.

I hope all is well with you, mrsD. :hug:
Thanks again!

With Love and Appreciation,
DejaVu

hello what kind of colouring books have you used? as I am researching them , would be good to know ! thanks

mrsD 07-29-2016 08:05 AM

There are some videos on YouTube that review some of the new coloring books.

I saw one by a watercolorist who evaluated the paper in several types.

The paper is very important. The newer books have better, thicker non bleeding paper, than some others. If you use markers or gel pens, you want a paper that won't bleed.

For this summer,Costco has a long table with many styles of coloring books where I live. They also had a huge set of gel pens 100 of them, for $19.99.

I prefer to do my own art work, so hubby just bought me the pen set recently.

M4ggy 09-02-2016 02:12 PM

Yesss!

That article is so true!

Besides the emotional, physiological benefits, art appears (in my nonprofessional opinion) to help with cognitive abilities too.

Writing is my outlet. I write every day, and sometimes it is terrible.

I found a quote on tumblr, so the source may not be accurate but it says:

"Bad writing precedes good writing. This is an infallible rule, so don't waste time trying to avoid bad writing. (That just slows down the process.) Anything committed to paper can be changed. The idea is to start and then go from there" - Janet Hulstrand

I wanted to share that for anyone who feels like they aren't artistic. Just write (or draw, dance, etc)! Who cares if it isn't good? Just start and see where it takes you.

pink kitty 09-13-2016 12:57 PM

Lovely thread, thank you for sharing!
:grouphug:

bobbie00 10-30-2016 01:20 AM

That's a very interesting and great article. Worth a read.