NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Does Physical Therapy Reduce PN? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/230484-physical-therapy-reduce-pn.html)

itburns 12-30-2015 09:15 PM

Does Physical Therapy Reduce PN?

My neurologist recommended I go to physical therapy. Its my assumption that therapists are glorified personal trainers who babysit. If PN resolves or pain goes away it would have left on its own in time regardless.

However I will still go because I will try anything at this point to reduce symptoms even by a little bit. My spine has several herniated and degenerative discs. Have had multiple back surgeries and the PN started after my last one. Maybe strengthening my "core" will alleviate some of the pressure on the discs but I assume the damage has been done on my nerves and the parasthesia is permanent. I've been having a really tough time dealing with symptoms lately. I hope all of you are doing well and enjoying your holiday.

teachermom 12-30-2015 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itburns (Post 1190825)
My neurologist recommended I go to physical therapy. Its my assumption that therapists are glorified personal trainers who babysit. If PN resolves or pain goes away it would have left on its own in time regardless.

However I will still go because I will try anything at this point to reduce symptoms even by a little bit. My spine has several herniated and degenerative discs. Have had multiple back surgeries and the PN started after my last one. Maybe strengthening my "core" will alleviate some of the pressure on the discs but I assume the damage has been done on my nerves and the parasthesia is permanent. I've been having a really tough time dealing with symptoms lately. I hope all of you are doing well and enjoying your holiday.

I begged my neuro to send me so I could strengthen my hip flexors. My hips go into spasms when I raise my knees or try to straighten my legs when sitting and I have a difficult time climbing and descending stairs. He says that it is not due to weakness, rather nerves. So, not sure. Maybe it's different with different causes. I have idiopathic SFN. So it's not caused by disc issues.

I went several years ago after a knee injury and it was a great experience. I hope it's a positive experience for you as well.

pinkynose 12-30-2015 09:59 PM

Yes for Physical Therapy!

Some Physical Therapist's are as you describe. Some places are like warehouse where the PT goes from patient to patient and you are seen by assistants for various treatments. Then they have you and other patients doing exercises while they chat with someone else.

However, there are physical therapists who spend the entire hour with just you doing physical manipulation where you need it, using treatments that are helpful and when you are ready teaching you what to do so you can participate in your treatment.

My PT has helped with my neuropathy which is probably caused by my lumbar spine. I too have degenerative disks and herniations but I have not had back surgery.

A good PT would let you know what exercises would be indicated for you, if core strengthening would help and also make sure you did the exercises correctly.

I suggest doing some research. If you find yourself in a warehouse set up you can go somewhere else. It is definitely worth trying.

Quote:

zkrp01 12-31-2015 11:34 AM

I would rather

Quote:

go to a good Chiropractor. I went to PT and they sent me home after two weeks. I was losing muscle mass in spite of the PT. I cannot shout from the rooftops about any healing from the Chiro but his rehab trained massage therapist wife helped me through a tough time. They were sympathetic and caring and sometimes that is enough to help. They also introduced me to another way to choose and cook food. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

DavidHC 12-31-2015 11:46 AM

I'll just second what Pinkeynose wrote. Mine is great, but she's very experienced, takes her time, spending an entire hour with just me, and really works with me and what I need. If nothing else, I come out of each session much more relaxed and loose, which we know can do wonders for PN/SFN symptoms. But there are some poor ones out there too, including the first one I saw, some guy who didn't know his head from his butt.

Quote:

zkrp01 12-31-2015 11:57 AM

Similarities

Quote:

Originally Posted by teachermom (Post 1190827)
I begged my neuro to send me so I could strengthen my hip flexors. My hips go into spasms when I raise my knees or try to straighten my legs when sitting and I have a difficult time climbing and descending stairs. He says that it is not due to weakness, rather nerves. So, not sure. Maybe it's different with different causes. I have idiopathic SFN. So it's not caused by disc issues.

I went several years ago after a knee injury and it was a great experience. I hope it's a positive experience for you as well.

The spasms, are you on Calcium w/d3 or Magnesium? I had wasting of quads,gluteus maximus, Illiopsoaz(the muscle that lifts the knee). They did not respond to Physical Therapy, it was as if the wiring to the muscles was not connected anymore. I still exercize but not in an attempt to weight train. Early on, I set benchmarks for frogress. I have went from using a walker to free walking,woo-hoo. I also had (at the start) to lift my leg up into a pickup truck to get in. That is still the same and I blame the Illiopsoaz as not responding or rewiring or releasing or whatever. I agree that your symptoms are not due to weakness but nerves. But isn't it true if the nerves don't fire the muscle weakness is next. My thighs used to be huge as I made a living climbing stairs all day. (280 lbs) Now they are not as big and I can walk about 100 yds before hunting a place to sit down. My experience with a rehab trained massage therapist was nore valuable to me that PT. I hear conflicting stories so I guess it's whatever works for you. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

pinkynose 12-31-2015 03:13 PM

I also have a good chiropractor

who is knowledgeable about vitamins and supplements. What worries me is there are also bad ones out there like anything else. I haven't had back surgery but when you have had multiple surgeries I get somewhat concerned. I especially wonder about using the drop table for manipulation . A good chiropractor would know what to do but a not so good one? Maybe people who have had back surgery and use chiropractors can weigh in. I do think a rehab trained massage therapist would be awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkrp01 (Post 1190889)
go to a good Chiropractor. I went to PT and they sent me home after two weeks. I was losing muscle mass in spite of the PT. I cannot shout from the rooftops about any healing from the Chiro but his rehab trained massage therapist wife helped me through a tough time. They were sympathetic and caring and sometimes that is enough to help. They also introduced me to another way to choose and cook food. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

Wiix 12-31-2015 06:20 PM

I used to exercise a lot. I felt it helped with numb toes. But when I asked nurse about she said it didn't so I stopped.

teachermom 12-31-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zkrp01 (Post 1190893)
The spasms, are you on Calcium w/d3 or Magnesium? I had wasting of quads,gluteus maximus, Illiopsoaz(the muscle that lifts the knee). They did not respond to Physical Therapy, [SIZE="4"]it was as if the wiring to the muscles was not connected anymore. [/SIZE]I still exercize but not in an attempt to weight train. Early on, I set benchmarks for frogress. I have went from using a walker to free walking,woo-hoo. I also had (at the start) to lift my leg up into a pickup truck to get in. That is still the same and I blame the Illiopsoaz as not responding or rewiring or releasing or whatever. I agree that your symptoms are not due to weakness but nerves. But isn't it true if the nerves don't fire the muscle weakness is next. My thighs used to be huge as I made a living climbing stairs all day. (280 lbs) Now they are not as big and I can walk about 100 yds before hunting a place to sit down. My experience with a rehab trained massage therapist was nore valuable to me that PT. I hear conflicting stories so I guess it's whatever works for you. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.

Your comment about the muscles not connecting--YES! That is exactly what I tried to tell all of the docs I've seen. I was running on a Saturday and all of the sudden, my legs weren't connected right anymore. I still get that sensation and my legs become very mechanical.

When this first started, I tried every possible non-doc involved remedy. Magnesium, calcium, vit d. I drank tonic water, pickle juice, and bullion. My testing showed that my vitamin levels are all really good. The only positive testing I have had is for antibody jo-1 and SFN.

I also see a massage therapist. But the PT I had a few years back, would also use message therapy. I guess that's why I liked her so much.

It's great that you are able to walk without a walker now. I'm not going to lie, some days I get really scared of what my future will be. I can still run. But standing up after I've been sitting or laying down is very painful. I walk like my grandma walks when I first stand up. After I move around a bit, it's ok, but it's scary to think that eventually it won't feel better.

zkrp01 01-01-2016 03:02 PM

Scary is the word

Quote:

Originally Posted by teachermom (Post 1190972)
Your comment about the muscles not connecting--YES! That is exactly what I tried to tell all of the docs I've seen. I was running on a Saturday and all of the sudden, my legs weren't connected right anymore. I still get that sensation and my legs become very mechanical.

When this first started, I tried every possible non-doc involved remedy. Magnesium, calcium, vit d. I drank tonic water, pickle juice, and bullion. My testing showed that my vitamin levels are all really good. The only positive testing I have had is for antibody jo-1 and SFN.

I also see a massage therapist. But the PT I had a few years back, would also use message therapy. I guess that's why I liked her so much.

It's great that you are able to walk without a walker now. I'm not going to lie, some days I get really scared of what my future will be. I can still run. But standing up after I've been sitting or laying down is very painful. I walk like my grandma walks when I first stand up. After I move around a bit, it's ok, but it's scary to think that eventually it won't feel better.

I have used a spin bike daily almost daily for over a year and If I miss for too long, the range of motion for my knees and hips starts to constrict. My next greatest hope is some sort of floor pilates that will allow for slow stretches of hip flexors and Illiopsoaz. I would like to run but I would need to lose about a hundred pounds. I've lost sixty and regained fifty so right now I'm a human yo-yo. Do know your b-12 number? Ken in Texas.