NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Thiamin Vitamin B1 (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/230519-thiamin-vitamin-b1.html)

panther 12-31-2015 06:03 PM

Thiamin Vitamin B1

I think I might be deficient in vitamin B1. My blood level shows 81 nmol/L.

Ref range is 74-222 nmol/L.

Lower end of normal,. I am not alcoholic. But I do enjoy my drink every weekend. When this started (Sfn) I did drink more than usual.

Any thoughts?

DavidHC 12-31-2015 06:37 PM

For what it's worth I would stop drinking entirely and take at least 300 mg of Befotiamine, the fat soluble and so bioavailable form. I used to drink a lot when my SFN came, and quitting drinking entirely and taking 600 mg of Benfo a day, 300 with breakfast, 300 with dinner, made an immense difference.

Best of luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 1190955)
I think I might be deficient in vitamin B1. My blood level shows 81 nmol/L.

Ref range is 74-222 nmol/L.

Lower end of normal,. I am not alcoholic. But I do enjoy my drink every weekend. When this started (Sfn) I did drink more than usual.

Any thoughts?

pinkynose 12-31-2015 07:10 PM

I'm with David. I am not alcoholic and had not had a drink for at least 5 years before my symptoms started because it began to effect me badly. I was deficient in B1 anyway. I began taking Benfotamine right away. People with a B1 deficiency are at risk for neuropathy and we already have it...

mrsD 12-31-2015 07:22 PM

B1 is also used in the metabolism of carbohydrates. So eating lots of sugar and high glycemic carbs can use it up.

panther 12-31-2015 08:26 PM

Do the symptoms improve or rather subside if we bring the b1 back up near high normal

Patrick Winter 01-01-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 1190971)
Do the symptoms improve or rather subside if we bring the b1 back up near high normal

Listen to DavidHC above.

I personally can say symptoms WILL improve. Benfotiamine is also very safe in high doses. The body will discard what it doesn't need. Taken in combination with R-Lipoic acid I have gotten great relief and been able to cheat on occasion and have a small treat without having to pay for it with a 4 day flare up. If it's working then I believe your body needs it regardless of what a blood test says which is merely a snapshot.

I like the Life Extension brand of both of the aforementioned products. Doctor's Best is also good, but Life Extension offers more potent dosage which is what helps me. It should definitely help the numbers go back up.

In the end, its better to rely on Supplements than it is Pharmaceuticals if you can. Even though it can be a bit costlier.

DavidHC 01-01-2016 11:52 AM

What Patrick said. I plan to also introduce R-Lipoic Acid at some point.

It all has helped me, an over all plan. Vitamins and lifestyle changes work synergistically, so together, and though causation is almost impossible to establish, for me, for Patrick and for many others Benfotiamine has correlated with improved symptoms and maybe healing, though one would need further biopsies and the like to determine that. Let's just say a healthier, more nutrient filled lifestyle via whatever exercise one can tolerate, the proper diet, supplementation, etc. can't do anything but help.

Quote:

Originally Posted by panther (Post 1190971)