NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   Gabapentin question please? (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/230538-gabapentin-question-please.html)

Cliffman 01-01-2016 10:47 AM

Gabapentin question please?

Happy New Year Everyone!

I worked my way up to 1200 mg of Gabapentin but for several days now my fingers have started to swell a bit. Is this a common side effect and one that may go away? If not I suppose I may have to consider another drug. I know my Neuro doc said Lyrica is next, which I believe has similar side effects.

Thanks,

Cliffman :)

DavidHC 01-01-2016 11:55 AM

Cliffman, just wanted to say happy new year!

I also wanted to tell you that I'm sorry to hear this. I wish I could help but I have no experience with either.

Good luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cliffman (Post 1191001)
Happy New Year Everyone!

I worked my way up to 1200 mg of Gabapentin but for several days now my fingers have started to swell a bit. Is this a common side effect and one that may go away? If not I suppose I may have to consider another drug. I know my Neuro doc said Lyrica is next, which I believe has similar side effects.

Thanks,

onebeed 01-01-2016 12:19 PM

Yes, Gabapentin caused my ankles and feet to swell up really bad. I had to switch to Lyrica because of this. Lyrica did not cause this but I was on a low dose, 75 mg twice a day.

Cliffman 01-01-2016 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by onebeed (Post 1191016)
Yes, Gabapentin caused my ankles and feet to swell up really bad. I had to switch to Lyrica because of this. Lyrica did not cause this but I was on a low dose, 75 mg twice a day.

Thanks Onebeed.

I put in a call to the neurologist. Due to the Holiday they only have a resident on staff but she's going to talk to my doctor and then advise me. I suspect she will tell me to start parring off the Gabapentin but that's only a guess. So far my ankles are not swollen...just the fingers.

Happy New Year!

Cliffman 01-01-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidHC (Post 1191014)
Cliffman, just wanted to say happy new year!

I also wanted to tell you that I'm sorry to hear this. I wish I could help but I have no experience with either.

Good luck!

Thanks David...Happy New Year to you as well. I hope this year brings much healing to all of us.

ElaineD 01-04-2016 08:55 AM

I take 3600 mg Gabapentin daily.

No swelling.

Talk about this with your prescribing physician.

Do research to find out if this is a transient side effect, and how serious it might be.

There are several other anti-seizure medications. The most common one I hear about is Lyrica.

Best wishes, ElaineD