NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Hinz Protocol - Actual Experiences (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/230756-hinz-protocol-actual-experiences.html)

Jon M. Pirikal 01-07-2016 01:06 AM

Hinz Protocol - Actual Experiences

This is intended to be a thread where those of us who have actual experience with the Hinz protocol, or are considering trying it, can talk among ourselves without having to defend the protocol. We can talk about good experiences and bad, discuss symptoms, provide regular status updates, offer tips and lessons learned, build up an empirical database basically.

This isn't the place to defend or criticize the Hinz protocol, in other words. If you want to debate the protocol, please post to this thread: “Hinz Protocol - Pros & Cons".

Thanks!
Jon

curem 03-22-2016 03:19 AM

I'd like to bump this thread. My father has tremor dominant Parkinson's and he has remained medication free for five years and still plays tennis, but I would like to find something that might offer some relief from the tremors. Has anyone found relief with tremors using the Hinz protocol?

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon M. Pirikal (Post 1191853)
This is intended to be a thread where those of us who have actual experience with the Hinz protocol, or are considering trying it, can talk among ourselves without having to defend the protocol. We can talk about good experiences and bad, discuss symptoms, provide regular status updates, offer tips and lessons learned, build up an empirical database basically.

This isn't the place to defend or criticize the Hinz protocol, in other words. If you want to debate the protocol, please post to this thread: “Hinz Protocol - Pros & Cons".

Thanks!
Jon

GerryW 03-22-2016 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curem (Post 1205416)
I'd like to bump this thread. My father has tremor dominant Parkinson's and he has remained medication free for five years and still plays tennis, but I would like to find something that might offer some relief from the tremors. Has anyone found relief with tremors using the Hinz protocol?

Thanks!

My tremors disappeared while I was on the protocol. They're back again now that I am no longer on it.

curem 03-23-2016 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GerryW (Post 1205444)
My tremors disappeared while I was on the protocol. They're back again now that I am no longer on it.

Wow that's pretty amazing! How long were you on it for, and were there any side effects? Why did you stop taking it?

I have read that it can cause nausea, which is a concern for my dad, since he suffers terribly with chronic nausea.

Thanks for sharing your info!

GerryW 03-23-2016 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curem (Post 1205586)
Wow that's pretty amazing! How long were you on it for, and were there any side effects? Why did you stop taking it?

I have read that it can cause nausea, which is a concern for my dad, since he suffers terribly with chronic nausea.

Thanks for sharing your info!

Look for the thread of 3/21/16 titled "I quit the Hinz protocol for more info. One of the benefits it confers is that it doesn't cause nausea. It is prevented by the right dose of 5-HTP. Best of luck to your dad.

TryingMyBest 03-24-2016 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curem (Post 1205416)

Thanks!

I too have tremor dominant PD and have gone med free for 5 years. Then due to worsening tremors tried carbidopa for 4 months for no relief so I quit.... only got nauseated. Thought about the Hinz P but the idea of large amounts of the stuff to take in the beginning with only more and more to take in your future turned me off. Tried Requip (bad stuff) and Cogentin (nope) and Amantadine (ok). Now in the middle of DBS looking for tremor relief.

soccertese 03-24-2016 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingMyBest (Post 1205740)
I too have tremor dominant PD and have gone med free for 5 years. Then due to worsening tremors tried carbidopa for 4 months for no relief so I quit.... only got nauseated. Thought about the Hinz P but the idea of large amounts of the stuff to take in the beginning with only more and more to take in your future turned me off. Tried Requip (bad stuff) and Cogentin (nope) and Amantadine (ok). Now in the middle of DBS looking for tremor relief.

TRYINGYOURBEST,
just curious, i'm signed up for DBS evaluation and it looks like a very rigorous series of tests in 1 day, especially being non-medicated for 12 hours. would you mind summarizing your testing experience? it seems like besides gathering info necessary to present to an insurance company that you need DBS they also want to make sure you can withstand a day of stress that won't be nearly as bad as what the DBS operation will be like plus see what support you bring with you? Did you wonder about this, cuz it seems like they could easily schedule multiple appts for the URDS(?) unmedicated eval, depression, dementia and final neuo exam. sorry about being so nosy.

TryingMyBest 03-24-2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soccertese (Post 1205755)
TRYINGYOURBEST,
just curious, i'm signed up for DBS evaluation and it looks like a very rigorous series of tests in 1 day, especially being non-medicated for 12 hours. would you mind summarizing your testing experience? it seems like besides gathering info necessary to present to an insurance company that you need DBS they also want to make sure you can withstand a day of stress that won't be nearly as bad as what the DBS operation will be like plus see what support you bring with you? Did you wonder about this, cuz it seems like they could easily schedule multiple appts for the URDS(?) unmedicated eval, depression, dementia and final neuo exam. sorry about being so nosy.

Hi,
I answered you on Blackfeather's last post thread. If you don't see it then it may have not been cleared yet.

SueC 04-10-2016 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TryingMyBest (Post 1205740)

Hello,

I wanted to chime in on your concerns about the Hinz protocol. My sister is on it and it has been nothing short of miraculous for her. With our experience, she began on very low doses of the supplements. Over months, those amounts have been increased. She is still working with her doctor to fine-tune her dosages (which is definitely an exercise in patience!) but, once that dosage is determined, there should be no need for taking more and more in the future. (This process for her has been over the course of the last 10 months. She went from only walking for short distances, having a constant tremor along with rigidity, and needing help for all activities of daily living to walking with almost a normal gate and being independent for all activities of daily living! Her tremor is mostly gone; when it does appear, it is minor compared to what it was in the beginning.)

The protocol is expensive and does not come without challenges - but it has given my sister her quality of life back.

Wishing you well,
SueC

RooJr 04-11-2016 12:14 AM

Hinz protocol

Can someone provide info on how to start the protocol.
Thanks