NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Parkinson's Disease (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/)
-   -   Ominous hints in our past (https://www.neurotalk.org/parkinson-s-disease/230824-ominous-hints-past.html)

AnnT2 01-08-2016 01:07 PM

Ominous hints in our past

When you watch a movie, the background music often gives you a hint when something bad is going to happen. I wonder if the same is true for people with Parkinson's. While we didn't have music to warn us, there were possible signs way back in our earlier lives when we walked unfettered and had steady hands that gave us a hint - usually overlooked - that PD was going to set up shop in our bodies.

The medical profession looks for biomarkers to determine who is at risk, but they usually involve blood tests, CAT scans, and MRIs. However, I believe there are signs easily detected by us, the patients. Was your handwriting smaller than that of others. Did people often ask you why you looked so glum . . .even when you were enjoying the party?

These are a couple of signs I had - although I did not recognize them at the time. How about you?

Ann

aftermathman 01-09-2016 05:34 AM

Yes I remember ...

signs from early days, (5 years old ish).

i) As a child I had OCD, Habits, (such as touching things in an order, etc), and a stammer.
ii) My handwrighting was awful.
iii) We always said I was left handed but my mother (different generation), forced me to be right handed. I was ambidextrous for many things, brush teeth with either hand, left footed, play pool left handed, bat right handed at cricket, etc.
My PD now affects my right hand predominantly, so I am probably right handed but had to do some things left handed due to the PD.
iv) I remember at about 15 running at school and wondering why I was moving slower than others, as I was in pretty good shape and should have been faster than I was.
v) At a martial art I used to do at age 30, (10 years before dx), my right side was harder to stretch, (this is my side affected most by PD).

So I had a number of signs going back all my life. This is why I hope that if I have had PD for so long and am still OK, things can stabalise and perhaps get better.

Love to hear if anyone else had signs.

Take care,
Neil.

johnt 01-09-2016 05:40 PM

From childhood I had:
- people telling me to "cheer up", even when I was happy, an early masked face?
- poor posture;
- muscle stiffness, even though I was fit at stamina sports.

John

Niggs 01-10-2016 05:42 AM

From Childhood,

Severe abducted feet (I wonder about dopa responsive dystonia)
Bad handwriting,like a spider crawling across the paper according to one
motivational Teacher.
Feeling physically awkward compared to others.
Energy seemed to deplete quicker tha my Peers.
Whilst rock climbing my left leg would spasm ,Parkinson's side

Nigel

aftermathman 01-10-2016 07:45 AM

So it looks like ...

a number of us presented PD symptoms from early in childhood.

I read somewhere that PD symptoms are evident when 80% of neurons are not functioning and this typically takes around 10 years elapsed.

I believe the brain regenerates upto around 25 years of age.
Really simplistic view, lets assume this regeneration means PD cannot occur until 26 years old.
Taking the 10 year incubation period this means the earliest PD presents itself is in the mid 30s.

However John was dx'ed at 50 years old and I was dx'ed at 40 years of age.

Our stories suggest we had PD early in our lives.

So what was PD doing in the years between our childhood and the first clinical presentation of symptoms.

I would be interested to get the view of the large PD charities as to whether they believe PD signs can exist in early childhood and if so, do they have any idea what is the process by which it remains dormant until later life. I will chase up PDS UK and MJFF and get back to you.

I have a personal interest in this as my granddaughter is displaying little habits and tics. This may be nothing but then again ...

Regards,
Neil.

ronstrong 01-16-2016 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Niggs (Post 1192358)
From Childhood,

Severe abducted feet (I wonder about dopa responsive dystonia)
Bad handwriting,like a spider crawling across the paper according to one
motivational Teacher.
Feeling physically awkward compared to others.
Energy seemed to deplete quicker tha my Peers.
Whilst rock climbing my left leg would spasm ,Parkinson's side

Nigel

Much the same (except I'd never climb!)

Dx 2010 45yo