NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Arthritis (https://www.neurotalk.org/arthritis/)
-   -   Anyone had foot arthrodesis (fusion)? (https://www.neurotalk.org/arthritis/230942-foot-arthrodesis-fusion.html)

Mairi 01-11-2016 06:40 PM

Anyone had foot arthrodesis (fusion)?

I've had spinal fusion surgery, no dramas, but feet sounds a bit more tricky. I'm already in a wheelchair from my back and the advanced OA all over the rest of my skeleton (not my spine tho, weirdly). I'm looking at having both feet fused (rear fusion) to limit the time I can't drive, as it's 3 months in casts.

Has anyone had this procedure, how long were you in hospital & how's the recovery?

Cheers!

Sent from my HTC_M9u using Tapatalk

Mairi 02-23-2016 11:54 PM

Well I'm booked in for the left foot arthrodesis on Monday, decided it couldn't wait whereas the right foot isn't as bad. Yet.

Advanced OA, spinal fusions L5-6, L6-S1, extra lumbar vertebrae, spina bifida occulta L4, fibromyalgia, tenosynovitis L ankle, roll in a Quickie Q7 chair

Littlepaw 02-24-2016 02:01 PM

Mairi,

I hope your procedure goes smoothly and brings relief.

Sending hugs and healing thoughts, :hug:

caroline2 02-24-2016 02:01 PM

Mairi, hope all turns out well for you. I deal with advancing OA in foot, from knee mess from hip replacement mess. All connected. Patience with healing is key.

PurpleFoot721 02-26-2016 08:08 PM

I was a kind of worse case scenario when I had a fusion of the tibiotalar, subtalar, and distal interphalangeal joint on my middle toe to help alleviate some of the swelling and pain that was caused by arthritis on my right ankle/foot. I ultimately had a bad result from the surgery, but my result was a long way from normal. Most people do well after a lengthy recovery, and can return to walking again with a fairly normal gait.

It is a slow recovery, but as long as you listen to your doctors and about the non weight bearing period of I think it was 10 weeks you should do well. Sorry I did not see this message earlier. Do you know what joints are being fused? I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.

PurpleFoot721 02-26-2016 08:12 PM

I almost forgot. I was out of the hospital the day after the procedure. If you have any complications, they may keep you an extra day.

Again, I hope all goes well come Monday.

Mairi 02-27-2016 06:34 AM

Thanks! I'm staying in for 3 days then transferring to a rehab hospital for a couple of weeks' R&R 😉 I'm having the cuboid & cuneiform bone fused - an uncommon surgery but uncommon is par for the course with me! Happy my X Files Blu Ray boxed set arrived in time for my month off work too lol

Advanced OA, spinal fusions L5-6, L6-S1, extra lumbar vertebrae, spina bifida occulta L4, fibromyalgia, tenosynovitis L ankle, roll in a Quickie Q7 chair

Mairi 02-29-2016 11:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 9430Attachment 9431

Mairi 02-29-2016 11:30 PM

Happy to say it went well & no pain, in a rehab hospital now.

PurpleFoot721 03-01-2016 09:07 AM

So glad all went well. Get some rest. Hoping for a speedy recovery.