NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Caregivers Support (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/)
-   -   caregiver of dad with brain damage (https://www.neurotalk.org/caregivers-support/230966-caregiver-dad-brain-damage.html)

ashlev07 01-12-2016 11:07 AM

caregiver of dad with brain damage

Three years ago my dad had brain surgery because he had a tumor the size of a golf ball on his brain. I didn't realize that this brain surgery would turn my life upside down. I take care of my dad every day. Since September of last year, my dad has attempted has attempted suicide three times. His latest attempt put him in icu hooked up to all of these machines. We didn't think he was going to make it. He pulled through though. Now he's in the behavioral health floor of the hospital getting the help he needs. I can't get the images of my dad hooked up to the machines out of my head nor can I forget the drive to the hospital. Sometimes I just cry for no reason. I relate this to exhaustion. Have any of you been through something similar and can you offer words of advice?

St George 2013 01-12-2016 01:00 PM

Hey there ashlev :)

Bless your heart.....you are such a good daughter !

My dad had a brain tumor but they could not operate on it due to where it was.

"My call" was when I was in another state on spring break with my daughter and her friend. My brother called and said my dad could not see. We rushed home, the drive was horrible for me, and when I got to the hospital it was just like your dad.....he was hooked up to all types of machines. It was horrible for me and I was such a 'daddy's girl'. After a few days in the hospital his vision did return thank the good Lord.

And yes the tears are about the exhaustion you are feeling and the love for your dad. It's ok to cry.....it's really a release for your body.

I'm so sorry you are having to go through this but you found a good place here ! This NT family is truly awesome and has gotten me through some very rough times in my life.

Please keep us updated on you and your dad. I'm hoping where he is now will really help him and you.

Remember to take care of yourself too :)

Debi from Georgia

ashlev07 01-12-2016 02:13 PM

Thank you so much. It is nice to know there are people out there going through things that are similar to what I am going through.

EnglishDave 01-12-2016 05:29 PM

Sounds like you are, understandably, suffering exhaustion, stress and Depression. You need to take care of yourself primarily before you can take care of your Dad. Do speak to your Dr and seek out Caregivers Support Groups in your area.

Be kind to yourself.

Dave.

eva5667faliure 01-15-2016 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashlev07 (Post 1192810)
Three years ago my dad had brain surgery because he had a tumor the size of a golf ball on his brain. I didn't realize that this brain surgery would turn my life upside down. I take care of my dad every day. Since September of last year, my dad has attempted has attempted suicide three times. His latest attempt put him in icu hooked up to all of these machines. We didn't think he was going to make it. He pulled through though. Now he's in the behavioral health floor of the hospital getting the help he needs. I can't get the images of my dad hooked up to the machines out of my head nor can I forget the drive to the hospital. Sometimes I just cry for no reason. I relate this to exhaustion. Have any of you been through something similar and can you offer words of advice?

That each and everyday you push through
That each day you are given another day as family
That each day we awake to the unknown for what the day will hold
That each day you wake and go through the everyday tasks with ease
That each day your help be lifted with the help professionals are trained to help the both of you
That each day you feed and take care of yourself so you can stay strong for the Loved ones in your life
You are a great daughter and mother
She will see and learn a very important lesson in life
No matter how young
The lesson unmistakeable
You are carried through this
And have a community of loving caring
individual here for you
Love
Me