NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   PN Tips, Resources, Supplements & Other Treatments (https://www.neurotalk.org/pn-tips-resources-supplements-and-other-treatments/)
-   -   b12 info on Neurotalk is right on! (https://www.neurotalk.org/pn-tips-resources-supplements-and-other-treatments/231460-b12-info-neurotalk.html)

rec60661 01-22-2016 09:50 AM

b12 info on Neurotalk is right on!

I am so grateful for the b12 sticky and help from Mrs. D and others. Without the information they so openly share I would never have started b12 therapy because my serum B12 was normal 8 weeks ago. Here are the facts of my case offered in the spirit of hoping to help others:

- Took Protonix (PPI) daily for 12 years.
- Took Metformin daily for past 18 months (not diabetic; was for prevention)
- Was mildly symptomatic for years with numbness in toes and tops of feet.
- Sudden onset of profound PN symptoms 8 weeks ago.
- Nerve test confirmed PN
- Blood test showed B12 of 960 and folate of 24
- 3 docs said "b12 is normal ... it's idiopathic PN ... have a good life"
- Was distraught which paid off because I was up all night crying and searching for answers online (of course, docs discourage "self diagnosis"!)
- Learned about this site ... yaaay!
- Info on B12 Sticky and confirmed by many research articles that patients who have normal b12 serum levels but are symptomatic could be deficient and that PPI's and Metformin can CAUSE b12 deficiency!
- Stopped the meds immediately!
- Started oral methyl b12 and searched for injection source (because PPI + Metformin likely was blocking absorption).
- Have had 5 Cyano injections (before I found the good stuff) and 17 methyl injections daily since December 18.
- Am still symptomatic; however, Mrs. B explained that B12 likely is going where needed and I will not show improvement for a while. She explained that it is going to bone marrow (thank goodness! I was so discouraged but she set me straight!).
- Proof is that my b12 serum level taken a few days ago was only 900! After ALL that b12 ... it seems my liver and bone marrow are sucking it up?? If so, I am very happy and hopeful that symptoms will subside over the next 8 weeks (actually 6 to 12 months, but as Mrs. D advises ... "be patient")
- I have also read that if you are symptomatic with neuro-damage you should maintain b12 levels of 1000 to give yourself the best chance of reversing and avoiding damage to nerves. Not sure on this, but seems reasonable.
- Once again ... thank you B12 sticky!!

DavidHC 01-22-2016 11:56 AM

Glad it's helping you so much. This place is a great resource, and MrsD. is heaven sent, just a wealth of knowledge!

Quote:

Originally Posted by rec60661 (Post 1194916)
I am so grateful for the b12 sticky and help from Mrs. D and others. Without the information they so openly share I would never have started b12 therapy because my serum B12 was normal 8 weeks ago. Here are the facts of my case offered in the spirit of hoping to help others:

- Took Protonix (PPI) daily for 12 years.
- Took Metformin daily for past 18 months (not diabetic; was for prevention)
- Was mildly symptomatic for years with numbness in toes and tops of feet.
- Sudden onset of profound PN symptoms 8 weeks ago.
- Nerve test confirmed PN
- Blood test showed B12 of 960 and folate of 24
- 3 docs said "b12 is normal ... it's idiopathic PN ... have a good life"
- Was distraught which paid off because I was up all night crying and searching for answers online (of course, docs discourage "self diagnosis"!)
- Learned about this site ... yaaay!
- Info on B12 Sticky and confirmed by many research articles that patients who have normal b12 serum levels but are symptomatic could be deficient and that PPI's and Metformin can CAUSE b12 deficiency!
- Stopped the meds immediately!
- Started oral methyl b12 and searched for injection source (because PPI + Metformin likely was blocking absorption).
- Have had 5 Cyano injections (before I found the good stuff) and 17 methyl injections daily since December 18.
- Am still symptomatic; however, Mrs. B explained that B12 likely is going where needed and I will not show improvement for a while. She explained that it is going to bone marrow (thank goodness! I was so discouraged but she set me straight!).
- Proof is that my b12 serum level taken a few days ago was only 900! After ALL that b12 ... it seems my liver and bone marrow are sucking it up?? If so, I am very happy and hopeful that symptoms will subside over the next 8 weeks (actually 6 to 12 months, but as Mrs. D advises ... "be patient")
- I have also read that if you are symptomatic with neuro-damage you should maintain b12 levels of 1000 to give yourself the best chance of reversing and avoiding damage to nerves. Not sure on this, but seems reasonable.
- Once again ... thank you B12 sticky!!

zkrp01 01-23-2016 09:38 AM

B-12 in my experience

I was a poor diabetes patient for years and taking Metformin at time of "walk-away" car wreck. Started having symptoms 3 days later with burning pathway from hip to knee. B-12 was at 119. Subsequent shots and pills brought it to 900+ and I only felt an increase in leg strength. As I remember the b-12 parameters, 400 is low end of acceptable and around 1000 is good. I feel that your b-12 has a good number, but I may be the one that has inaccurate information. Good Luck, Ken in Texas.