NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Peripheral Neuropathy (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/)
-   -   I'm starting IVIG! (https://www.neurotalk.org/peripheral-neuropathy/232935-im-starting-ivig.html)

JoannaP79 02-24-2016 02:31 PM

I'm starting IVIG!

Hi all,

Thanks to LouLou's recommendation, I finally found a good neurologist in the U.K who has pushed my insurance company to cover an ivig trial. I'm just arranging the date for a 5 day admission to hospital for intensive ivig every day.
Hope so much it helps with my SFN. It is now in every part of my body including my teeth! Kind of just accepting it but hope this may help me. The problem is that I don't expect to get to the end of 5 days and say yes it worked. What do I say to the neurologist if I feel the same at the end of 5 days. I don't want to stitch myself up and instead want to keep at it for as long as possible to give it a chance.

en bloc 02-24-2016 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaP79 (Post 1201116)
Hi all,

Thanks to LouLou's recommendation, I finally found a good neurologist in the U.K who has pushed my insurance company to cover an ivig trial. I'm just arranging the date for a 5 day admission to hospital for intensive ivig every day.
Hope so much it helps with my SFN. It is now in every part of my body including my teeth! Kind of just accepting it but hope this may help me. The problem is that I don't expect to get to the end of 5 days and say yes it worked. What do I say to the neurologist if I feel the same at the end of 5 days. I don't want to stitch myself up and instead want to keep at it for as long as possible to give it a chance.

The 5 day infusion is typically the "loading dose" and they should continue monthly after that for at least 12 weeks.

JoannaP79 02-24-2016 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by en bloc (Post 1201133)
The 5 day infusion is typically the "loading dose" and they should continue monthly after that for at least 12 weeks.

Thanks en bloc. I know you have explained your situation to me already but could you remind me whether you noticed anything at all with the ivig within the initial dose?

DavidHC 02-24-2016 04:10 PM

This thread may be useful: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread229739.html. All thanks to En Bloc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoannaP79 (Post 1201137)
Thanks en bloc. I know you have explained your situation to me already but could you remind me whether you noticed anything at all with the ivig within the initial dose?

en bloc 02-24-2016 04:32 PM

I did notice some mild improvement after the five days, but it was NOT a huge reduction in symptoms. It takes time for this to work. It basically has to modulate the immune system and it's responses. That loading dose is just the first step. They do like to see some improvement after the loading dose (even just a little), but it doesn't always happen from the people I have talked to. For some, it can be 3-6 months before they notice improvement. But some of these didn't get the 5 day loading dose (some get 3 days and some just start monthly infusions). You'll just have to wait and see. But be optimistic!!

en bloc 02-24-2016 04:38 PM

Be sure to hydrate well before the infusion begins...and during those 5 days. Also, make sure to tell the nurse/doctor about ANY side-effects. Most side-effects are rate related and the nurse will slow down the rate if you have any headache, etc. Don't wait until side-effects get bad to bring it up. They need to know right away if you have headache, chills, etc. They will be checking your vitals throughout the infusion as well. This is protocol, so don't be alarmed by them taking pulse, BP every 15-30 minutes at first...and every time they increase the rate a little.

Littlepaw 02-24-2016 04:41 PM

Joanna,

So happy you are able to move forward with some treatment. :) I hope all goes well and you get the results you need.

Sending healing thoughts, :hug:

stillHoping 02-24-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

Glad to hear you got the approval, good luck!!

My neuro told me it can take up to 6 months to know if it is working.

en bloc 02-24-2016 09:50 PM

Joanna,

The other thing to remember is that a skin biopsy can be repeated in 6 months (normal time period to really tell if helpful) to see there is an increase in nerve fiber density...this is "proof" it is working. So, even at 6 months, your symptoms may only be somewhat better and density slightly increased...but it is signs that the IVIG is working and you are headed in the right direction. IVIG takes TIME.

Sirena 02-25-2016 04:51 AM

Post IVIG flare

Quote:

Hi all,

FYI, my ds7 recently had IVIG for a different neuro condition and while we think it has helped, he also had some symptoms become more aggravated. His neuro then gave him a 3 day, solumedrol pulse to calm that down--which helped. Good luck with you IVIG!