NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Social Security Disability (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/)
-   -   What age can I draw from husbands benefits, I am on SSDI (https://www.neurotalk.org/social-security-disability/233048-age-draw-husbands-benefits-am-ssdi.html)

DiMarie 02-26-2016 11:32 PM

What age can I draw from husbands benefits, I am on SSDI

I am going to be 62 this year, my husband is collecting already and I am collecting for the last 12 years from my own earnings. Wondering at what age, prior to him passing I would be able to collect from his earnings. I have half what he receives at this time. It isn't much at all...
Thanks,

Oh I went to the website and I think it is saying 62, but it didn't seem correct, I thought full benefits were at 66.

LIT LOVE 02-27-2016 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiMarie (Post 1201546)
I am going to be 62 this year, my husband is collecting already and I am collecting for the last 12 years from my own earnings. Wondering at what age, prior to him passing I would be able to collect from his earnings. I have half what he receives at this time. It isn't much at all...
Thanks,

Oh I went to the website and I think it is saying 62, but it didn't seem correct, I thought full benefits were at 66.

You can collect at 62, but your benefit would be reduced by 30%. Since the max you're entitled to while your husband is alive from his record is 50%, then it makes no sense to switch to his record at this point.

https://www.ssa.gov/planners/retire/retirechart.html

Janke 02-27-2016 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiMarie (Post 1201546)
Thanks,

Pretend that his benefit is $1000 and yours is $300. 1/2 of his would be $500. Filing for spousal benefits at age 62 would give an award of $350 (permanent reduction of 30%). So the answer all depends upon how much the $50 will help you at age 62 or the $200 would help you at age 66. Less money sooner but for more years or more money later but not now when you could use it.

The unknown factor is your date of death. You won't know the right answer without it. Everything else is a guess.

LIT LOVE 02-27-2016 08:01 PM

Am I confused? Using Janke's example, if he is currently receiving $1000, I thought your benefit on your own record is $500.

echoes long ago 02-28-2016 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIT LOVE (Post 1201649)
Am I confused? Using Janke's example, if he is currently receiving $1000, I thought your benefit on your own record is $500.

because she is 62 not 66 yet, so it is reduced 30%

LIT LOVE 02-28-2016 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echoes long ago (Post 1201757)
because she is 62 not 66 yet, so it is reduced 30%

I understood the reduction, I'm not sure how I misread it now...

razzle51 02-29-2016 12:27 PM

wait till your 65 thats what I did

DiMarie 03-02-2016 02:02 PM

So if I am receiving 50% on my own, it is senseless. I thought it would be 100% at 65/66 before I posted.
Basically as long as he is alive I will be receiving on my own then.

Ugh, there is no rest for the weary. I am so broken, can't work, can't find a job anymore I could even consider doing. If he were to pass away I would lose not only his portion of the difference in SS but his pay check too. I have to pray he live at least as long as me.

LIT LOVE 03-02-2016 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiMarie (Post 1202250)
So if I am receiving 50% on my own, it is senseless. I thought it would be 100% at 65/66 before I posted.
Basically as long as he is alive I will be receiving on my own then.

Ugh, there is no rest for the weary. I am so broken, can't work, can't find a job anymore I could even consider doing. If he were to pass away I would lose not only his portion of the difference in SS but his pay check too. I have to pray he live at least as long as me.

You should have a plan in case he does pass before you if you can't make it on just his full SS. Does he carry life insurance? If you own your own home you could buy down, take out a reverse mortgage, rent out a room, move in with family, etc. Property taxes can sometimes be deferred until your death if you're disabled or over 65.

Mz Migraine 03-03-2016 01:11 PM

In addition to what LIT LOVE asked....
"Does he carry life insurance?" you need to verify that you are the beneficiary.
Does he have a pension plan? If he passes before you, will you receive his pension?

Also, at your age, you should have been prepared. Do you have savings? If not, start now, even if its just $5 weekly.

Start checking out the resources at your local Social Service department. Senior/Disabled housing are very affordable.