NeuroTalk Support Groups

NeuroTalk Support Groups (https://www.neurotalk.org/)
-   Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy (RSD and CRPS) (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/)
-   -   balance (https://www.neurotalk.org/reflex-sympathetic-dystrophy-rsd-and-crps-/233073-balance.html)

zinnia 02-27-2016 05:52 PM

balance

Balance can sure be tricky. Today I was able to walk with more balance, hold my head up, look straight ahead, as opposed to looking at my feet, yup had to learn that too hahaha. I am finding moving a little faster helps me to actually get into a gait. momentum I have a great long concrete street to walk on.
Two cat following along behind me.

Who would have thought walking could be so complicated? I did find my hip did not hurt when I was balanced. I have been so discouraged about the hip in the opposite side as the RSD in my foot causing me so much pain. I think all that time I was using that cane did me more harm than good. hmmmm I guess that is why I am sharing this with you all who understand. Thanks for being there cheering me on. I think I can, I think I can........

peace
zinnia

catra121 02-27-2016 10:35 PM

It is hard relearning to walk at any age...I've had to do it twice because of the RSD and I STILL sometimes walk incorrectly because of pain. This is honestly why I prefer the walker (rollator) so much over the cane...I have a normal gait when I use the walker but with the cane it's not right and ends up causing more problems. Right now I can't use the walker because of my shoulder and I am having more flare ups in my leg and also my arm that I use the cane with. My back has also been hurting more and I am slowly getting more and more unsteady with the cane...so frustrating. Walking "correctly" is so important...totally agree with that. Glad to hear you had a good day today. :)

BioBased 02-28-2016 07:28 AM

Zinnia, great news! :)

The problem with walkers and rollators is they are not ergonomic. I believe they strain the shoulders, wrists and elbows and cause a pitched forward gait. I was already pitching forward, with foot drop, dystonia and hip bursitis, so I was cautious about using anything which would entrain that bent over posture permanently.

catra121 02-28-2016 08:17 AM

I got a rollator that is specifically made for shorter people like myself. It's worked out great because I don't have to bend over or stoop to use it. It's the perfect height to stand upright which improved my gait tremendously. I definitely agree though that if an assistive device causes you to walk incorrectly that it will cause more problems like my cane does for me. If it's something you use daily it's definitely eorth it to get one that is sized appropriately for you.

Littlepaw 02-28-2016 10:17 AM

Zinnia,

That's great news! It will get easier as you do it more often. Thanks for sharing about your kitties, that is just darling!

I agree that learning to walk is challenging at any age. No wonder it takes so long to get it down. There are a lot movements to coordinate. I really found core exercises important as I was re-learning. Otherwise my left leg was wanting to "cheat". I especially found the "bird-dog" helpful.

Keep up the good work! And yes there are rollators for short people which can be good if you are going on an adventure even if you don't need it all the time. My first venture out to something like an art show and into air travel were with a rollator. I gave that sucker away recently...it's off having new adventures. :)

:hug:

Imahotep 03-01-2016 07:39 PM

Keep on keeping on...

We either fight it or it beats us down.

At one point I asked my doc about a wheel chair and he said I was qualified but if I sat down I might never get up. I get around reasonably well now except for a little pain from walking and arthritis.

zinnia 03-01-2016 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Imahotep (Post 1202101)
Keep on keeping on...

We either fight it or it beats us down.

At one point I asked my doc about a wheel chair and he said I was qualified but if I sat down I might never get up. I get around reasonably well now except for a little pain from walking and arthritis.

wow Imahotep that is really good to hear. You spoke to my heart.

peace
zinnia

Littlepaw 03-02-2016 09:29 AM

Imahotep,

I agree...Wow!

I am grateful for your wise words and strong spirit.

:hug: